• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (21 Viewers)

Thanks for all the comments! The recent photos were taken with a Nikon D500 and a (fairly cheap) 70-300mm AF-P VR lens. It seems to be quite a sharp, lightweight combination. I'll have to examine its effectiveness for household items soon ;).

Andrew's coming home

I've been away for a bit, so it's been a bit quiet on the thread lately. Anyway, I did have a fairly casual wander around this evening. This proved surprisingly successful. As soon as I got down to Greyhope Bay I was surprised to see a pristine adult summer Mediterranean Gull sitting on the rocks with the terns. Still quite a rare bird here and it's always a pleasure to see an adult. Although I've seen Med Gull here before, this was definitely the best looking one.

This distracted me from my attempts at seawatching, though I did see five Manx Shearwaters, three Puffins and seven Common Scoters going north.

Attachments

• Mediterranean Gull_Girdle Ness_090718a.jpg
    Mediterranean Gull_Girdle Ness_090718a.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 89
Had a quick look around this evening, in rather calm, cloudy conditions. There was a steady passage of Manx Shearwaters north, with 53 counted. Three Puffins included one quite close to the shore in Greyhope Bay. Also 45 Common Scoters and an Arctic Tern. Also my first Harbour Porpoise in a while. 27 Goosander were in the harbour. Better birds were around this morning.

Last edited:
A warm and fairly interesting weekend here in Torry. Yesterday I looked around the Nigg Bay area for the first time in a while. Conditions are remarkably dry with the pools shriking back to the smallest I've ever seen them. It was mildly surprising to flush two Snipe from the side of the path, but I suppose the marsh must be one of the only wet places for a long way around at present.

There were plenty of recently fledged birds around, including a family of Long-tailed Tits and a juvenile Coal Tit, the latter a new breeding species in the area. Three juvenile Lesser Redpolls might also have hatched nearby. Other birds included a Rook and a Stock Dove. A good selection of butterflies was on the wing, the best of them being a Dark-green Fritillary near the railway embankment.

Today I visited the same area and came away with a long-awaited patch tick. Soon after arriving I saw a large raptor gliding up over the trees on Tullos Hill. This proved to be a Red Kite - a bird that breeds relatively nearby these days but this was the first time I'd seen one over the eastern side of the city. It reappeared over the top of the hill and then, an hour later, over the marsh. As might be expected, it was a recently fledged juvenile.

Other stuff seen today included another Stock Dove around Tullos Hill. Three Dunlin and a Turnstone on Greyhope Bay were signs of some return wader passage and the Goosander flock in the harbour was up to 58.

Attachments

• Red Kite_Girdle Ness_150718a.jpg
    Red Kite_Girdle Ness_150718a.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Red Kite_Girdle Ness_150718b.jpg
    Red Kite_Girdle Ness_150718b.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Red Kite_Girdle Ness_150718c.jpg
    Red Kite_Girdle Ness_150718c.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Grey Heron_Girdle Ness_150718a.jpg
    Grey Heron_Girdle Ness_150718a.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Coal Tit_Girdle Ness_140718a.jpg
    Coal Tit_Girdle Ness_140718a.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 53
We're big fans of Hybrid Crows here in Torry. I suspect the darker bird below may be the offspring of the lighter bird and a Carrion Crow.

There's also a shot of yesterday's Dark-green Fritillary.

Attachments

• Hybrid Crow1_Girdle Ness_150718a.jpg
    Hybrid Crow1_Girdle Ness_150718a.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Hybrid Crow1_Girdle Ness_150718b.jpg
    Hybrid Crow1_Girdle Ness_150718b.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Hybrid Crow2_Girdle Ness_150718a.jpg
    Hybrid Crow2_Girdle Ness_150718a.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Dark Green Fritillary_Girdle Ness_140718a.jpg
    Dark Green Fritillary_Girdle Ness_140718a.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 45
Well Done on the Red Kite and breeding news Andrew.As per usual,l always miss something good locally while on holiday.Mind You,the birds I'm seeing ln Mallorca compensate a little. 😉

Well Done on the Red Kite and breeding news Andrew.As per usual,l always miss something good locally while on holiday.Mind You,the birds I'm seeing ln Mallorca compensate a little. 😉

Good to hear you're doing well in Mallorca (maybe a few Kites there?).

I had a short look around today, after we had some actual rain this morning. Waders were a bit more in evidence with four Whimbrel flying over and at least ten Dunlin around, most of which arrived from the north while I was watching. Not too much else except for 35 Common Scoters and 49 Goosander.

Attachments

• Whimbrel_Girdle Ness_160718a.jpg
    Whimbrel_Girdle Ness_160718a.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 38
An excellent photograph Andrew. I seem to remember that like my present photographs, yours could be relied upon to provide "record shots".
I am however missing your photographs of household items, which seem to be less in evidence now, as I lurk in the forum.

An excellent photograph Andrew. I seem to remember that like my present photographs, yours could be relied upon to provide "record shots".
I am however missing your photographs of household items, which seem to be less in evidence now, as I lurk in the forum.

Thanks! I like to think I still manage a few 'record shots'. There's been a bit of a lack of household items lately, but I'll maybe try to keep a lookout for them. If anyone has any info on any locally, please share.

I have to agree with amilne.l remember the good old days,when Andrew was known as Doctor Whitehouse and the household item photos were essential weekend viewing,much like Match of the Day. 😉

I headed out this evening after some more actual rain earlier in the day. Wader numbers were up on Greyhope Bay, with 10 Knot, 7 Dunlin, 5 Ringed Plover and 4 Turnstone. A Common Sandpiper was also there with another on the banana pier. A Redpoll was heard overhead.

I keep wondering what might have flow past at some stage today.

Or what might turn up on the rocks in Greyhope bay....

Sadly there were no terns of any kind on the rocks in Greyhope Bay this morning. Lots of gulls, and a few waders too though. The latter included 6 Knot, 4 Dunlin and one Common Sandpiper. Two Whimbrel flew south, to give nine species of wader in total. Looking out to sea didn't add too much either, just two Manx Shearwaters, a Puffin and two Red-throated Divers.

The best sighting was of an Otter carrying a large fish along the edge of the north pier. My first here for a while. There seem to be good numbers of young birds about now, particularly Swallows and House Martins. That's encouraging after the poor start to the summer for those species.

Here are some gratifyingly record-like shots of a few things.

Attachments

• Common Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_200718a.jpg
    Common Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_200718a.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Knot_Dunlin_Girdle Ness_210718a.jpg
    Knot_Dunlin_Girdle Ness_210718a.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 45
  • Otter_Girdle Ness_210718a.jpg
    Otter_Girdle Ness_210718a.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 59
Good numbers of waders around Greyhope Bay this evening. Most conspicuous were no fewer than 62 Knot, all summer-plumaged adults. Also around were a Common Sandpiper, a Whimbrel and nine Dunlin.

Quite busy this morning at the Ness, but without anything particularly outstanding. 90 Swifts over Torry was a good number - presumably including some birds on the move. There were a few warblers about, including a slightly scary looking juvenile Sedge Warbler at the Battery (see picture). At least one Lesser Redpoll was also about.

Waders were less prominent than a few evenings back, with just two Dunlin and two Common Sandpipers. A downy juvenile Ringed Plover was on the beach in Greyhope Bay. Offshore very little was happening aside from six Common Scoters going north. 50 Goosanders were in the harbour and butterflies included a couple of Small Coppers.

Attachments

• Sedge Warbler_Girdle Ness_040818a.jpg
    Sedge Warbler_Girdle Ness_040818a.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Small Copper_Girdle Ness_040818a.jpg
    Small Copper_Girdle Ness_040818a.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 34
A pleasantly warm day again in Torry. A scattering of waders was around on the rocks, including a Whimbrel, a Common Sandpiper and a Knot. It seems to have been a good year for Mediterranean Gulls and two juveniles were seen well on the rocks below the foghorn. One was noticeably greyer than the other. Offshore, an adult Little Gull was milling about the calm seas.

It was good for butterflies too, with plenty of Small Coppers as well as a few Red Admirals and Painted Ladies. Loads of Silver Y moths around as well.

Attachments

• Mediterranean Gulls_Girdle Ness_050818a.jpg
    Mediterranean Gulls_Girdle Ness_050818a.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Whimbrel_Girdle Ness_050818a.jpg
    Whimbrel_Girdle Ness_050818a.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Painted Lady_Torry_050818a.jpg
    Painted Lady_Torry_050818a.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 20
Had a pleasant wander round the Ness late afternoon today. Offshore absolutely truckloads of seabirds were feeding - mostly Kittiwakes and Guillemots but other common species were joining in too. A juvenile Mediterranean Gull was again around the rocks below the foghorn. This was the greyer individual. A Little Gull was also seen in Greyhope Bay. It may have been the same bird as at the weekend but on closer inspection it looks a bit of a subadult - maybe a 2nd (or even 3rd) calendar year bird. Waders included two Dunlin and a Common Sandpiper. 61 Goosander were in the harbour.

Here are a couple of shots of the Med Gull, in a bid to prevent myself getting blase about them. There's also a sample of the seabird throng.

Attachments

• Mediterranean Gull_Girdle Ness_070818a (2).jpg
    Mediterranean Gull_Girdle Ness_070818a (2).jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Mediterranean Gull_Girdle Ness_070818a.jpg
    Mediterranean Gull_Girdle Ness_070818a.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 39
  • Seabirds_Girdle Ness_070818a.jpg
    Seabirds_Girdle Ness_070818a.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 42

Users who are viewing this thread

Back