• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid Tree-x-House or Italian Sparrow? NE Germany, June 2018 (1 Viewer)

CARERY

The attached (with permission of the photographer) Sparrow has been photographed a few days ago in Güstrow, NE Germany. There are three photos showing only the same posture and angle. I've not much experience with either Italian (of course not very likely here) or Hybrid Sparrows. I wonder if someone here at BF has? Is it possible to make a conclusive ID from only this shot?

Attachments

• AND_7078-1024x683.JPG
    AND_7078-1024x683.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 135
The attached (with permission of the photographer) Sparrow has been photographed a few days ago in Güstrow, NE Germany. There are three photos showing only the same posture and angle. I've not much experience with either Italian (of course not very likely here) or Hybrid Sparrows. I wonder if someone here at BF has? Is it possible to make a conclusive ID from only this shot?

If we could just see more of the forehead/crown it would help, I think I'm seeing some dark grey on this shot which would be right for House/Italian hybrid (of which I had several at our previous house due to a male Italian Sparrow breeding over three or four years with female House). Are the two other photos exactly the same angle, just a bit more of the head would be good.
Edit: I've attached a photo of one of our ItalianxHouse hybrids as an example, though looking at your posted photo again I wonder if I detect a "shadow" cheek spot, which of course would take us back to House x Tree hybrid. Don't you just love sparrows!;)

Attachments

• Moineau hybride.jpg
    Moineau hybride.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Unfortunately the other pictures show if at all less of the crown. The "shadow" cheek spot might indeed be a good hint that a Tree Sparrow is involved. Which would of course be the much more probable explanation!

Yesterday the observer was at the spot again and managed to get more pics. Looks really Italian to me, no grey feathers on the crown, no 'shadow' cheek spot... Hmm. Would be happy to get some more input!

Attachments

• AND_8418.JPG
    AND_8418.JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 35
  • AND_8402.JPG
    AND_8402.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 44
  • AND_8351.JPG
    AND_8351.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 24
  • AND_8336.JPG
    AND_8336.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 40
Me too. But the question is then how do you tell a proper Italian Sparrow from a Spanish x House hybrid?

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back