• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Artists (1 Viewer)

rockwright

In reference to the previous post about favorite bird artists, this is of interest. Most of you probably already know this, but for those who don't, the Leigh Yawkey Woodson museum of art has an annual juried art exhibit entitled "Birds in Art", which tours the US each year. A list of artists exhibiting in this show is a "who's who" of avian artists. The exhibit contains all mediums, including wood and stone sculpture, and all styles, from photorealistic to impressionistic. Each year they publish a very reasonably priced catalogue or magazine showing all of the artwork and profiling the artists. It's very humbling to view this, but also inspiring. The catalogue is available on-line from the museum website.
Another very similar show which tours the country is the "Arts in the Parks" exhibit but on by the national parks. They also have a very nice, reasonably priced brochure. All artwork here deals with the National Park system.

Not just Bateman! Lars Jonsson, Thomas Quinn, George McLean, Fenwick Lansdowne (not to mention my own personal favourite, Chris Bacon) ... the catalogues are excellent as well, highly reccommend them.

I always find Bateman's entries interesting, as they're never what you'd expect. Most feature birds as one of the seemingly less important elements of the painting ('Pacific' doesn't even have any birds at all, just a few footprints next to the wide expanse of the ocean).

oh now you have intrigued me! i will definetly have to go and spend some time devouring the artists's work that you named!!...

Hungarian artist

For our publication project on shorebirds all the illustration will be made by Szabolcs Kokay, one of the most famous and talented bird and wildlife artist in Hungary. Hope you will ejoy his work. Plesase visit his website and blog at kokay.hu

Cheers: SzimiStyle

SzimiStyle said:
For our publication project on shorebirds all the illustration will be made by Szabolcs Kokay, one of the most famous and talented bird and wildlife artist in Hungary. Hope you will ejoy his work. Plesase visit his website and blog at kokay.hu

Heh ... I think most of us who hang out in this part of the forum are already familiar with Szabi 's excellent work. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back