• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around Manila? (1 Viewer)

gpike

Hello, I'm going to be in Manila for about 4 days (I live on Guam which is about 3 hours away by plane) and I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for birding sites in the Manila area? We don't really have anything else planned to do while we are there, so even a day trip out of the city would probably be possible. I was wondering if it's possible to go down to Mt. Makiling for a day since it doesn't look very far on the map... But I would like some more experienced opinions.

Thanks!

Hey Spike there is excellent birding in and around Manila. Balanga City, across Manila Bay for waders, drop in at Candaba Marsh en route, head onwards to Subic and the to the east of MNL how about Los Banos? Why don't you contact a couple of birders/bloggers who might be able to assist you and may even show you around. It can be a pain at times getting around in the Philippines and while I have never had any bad experiences myself beyond absurd attempts at overcharging for hotels and taxis, it can be a dangerous place. I've also been let down by prearranged taxi services....you know they phone two hours after a 5:00am reservation to ask if you still want the service! Very frustrating when you are on a tight schedule. I suggest you try Bob Kaufman's blog and that of Paul Bourdin. They are active birders. Best wishes

Thanks Portnoy! I can't seem to find any way to actually contact the owners of the two blogs you linked, but I will take your suggestion and try to get ahold of somebody local who may know more.

I'd recommend Mount Makiling, which has lots of Philippine endemics and a cheap place to stay at the edge of the forest as part of a student complex. It would only take a couple of hours (I guess) to get there if you hire a vehicle (half a day by bus). I've PM'd you our trip report, where we went to this site first.

Last edited:
Actually Los Banos is only a couple of hours by bus from Manila. You could try contacting members of the Wild Bird Club of the Philippines (Bob Kaufman is a member). Try birdwatch.ph There are lots of friendly and helpful local birders these days.

Try Mt. Makiling. This is the nearest birding area, maybe a two hours from Manila. When are you going? Drop an email at myckle224[at]yahoo.com or if you want a complete birding package you can email us at birdingphilippines[at]gmail[dot]com

Happy birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back