• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk in Wayne County, North Carolina, USA (1 Viewer)

P

pusser_uk

I wonder if someone can help me with this hawk. Still learning about all the birds over this side of the pond. :)
I got this shot from half way down my yard. My camera was at full 18x zoom and I have had to lighten it up a bit to see some detail. I have been trying to make a positive ID using Enature.com but many of the photos there are so small as to make it difficult to be sure.

Attachments

• DSCF8435b_resize.jpg
    DSCF8435b_resize.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 164
OK, so.... I have Red Tailed and an agreement and then a change to Red Shouldered. Thanks Guys. lol I AM much the wiser. haha
What is the difinitive identifying feature that sets the two apart?

Yes, I note that you are from the UK.

As Fugl notes the lack of a "belly band" in a raptor seen perched like this one will, in most cases, eliminate it from being a Red-tail. A back view, of course would show other field marks including it's red tail except if it were a juvenile.

Perhaps up to 40% of the Hawks you will see in North America will be Red-tails. The usual identification procedure when seeing a raptor is first to eliminate the possibility that it is a Red-tail. Then you can move on to others. It gets a little harder after that but with experience and familiarizing yourself with their field marks you will be able to ID North American raptors better.

A good field guide is The Peterson Field Guide to "Hawks of North America" by Clark and Wheeler.

Bob

On this specimen you can also see relatively wide bands on the tail (more narrow on a young red-tailed), and the streaking is heaviest on the upper breast, which is usually lightly marked in red-tailed and more heavily marked on the belly (belly band). From the back or side, this bird would also likely show light barring on the secondaries and coverts.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back