• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anglo Arms Pop Up Hide (1 Viewer)

Matt 82

I bought the Anglo Arms Pop Up Hide from Ebay. It's less than £50. I'm using it mainly to take pictures. The additional camouflage netting was something I bought separately.

First impressions are that it's huge. 6 foot 3 apparently. It feels good quality though the zips (and there are many) don't look like they'd keep out much water. It's easy to pop up but not so easy to pop down. In fact, since popping up, it has stayed that way. There are two videos on Youtube showing how it's done but I still can't get it. I'll enlist help at some point from people more able than I.

I set it up on slabs so it was a bit wobbly but once I was inside it was ok. There's plenty of room inside. No floor though so you can't really leave things lying on the ground.

The viewing windows are nice and big bit only open from the top so leave you quite exposed once the flaps are down. You can open them one side at a time though so I might try that next time, though it might be a bit awkward getting the camera away to the edge of the hide. The extra netting I bought really came in handy. In fact I would suggest the hide would be useless without it.

I was using a bog standard camping seat and felt a little low compared to the windows. This meant I had to open the window fully to see out.

It certainly worked. I only added a few extra suet balls to the feeder to entice the birds in and in no time at all they were arriving in numbers. It was great to hear the new calls from the birds when they don't have to warn each other about me. They didn't seem to notice the camera either which was handy. I was able to snap away without them caring.

I have loads more photos but most of them are quite poor as I was more interested in testing their awareness than getting the best pics. I sat for about an hour before coming back in to avoid the rain.

Seems good. Once I work out how to fold it away I'll take it out somewhere and test it out properly. And I also need to clean out that bird feeder by the looks of things.

Attachments

• DSC_0049.JPG
    DSC_0049.JPG
    343.9 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC_0050 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0050 - Copy.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_0034 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0034 - Copy.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC_0038 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0038 - Copy.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 135
You're not kidding about getting it down! I bought one on behalf of a friend and it stayed up in his living room until I found the YouTube video. I got it down by watching it on my iPhone after a struggle but he daren't use it so it remains in the bag. It's mainly designed for shooting hence the height of the windows.

If anyone's thinking of buying one I'd say go for a chair hide instead. As you say, this one's huge and almost impossible to get down though with practice it could get easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back