• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bohol update (1 Viewer)

excellent report, a good read. I just wish Ryan had been as persistent with us as he was with you...... as he let us down twice when he had to leave us to go to work. He did put us onto a pair of Buff Spotted Flamebacks and told us where to search for Silvery Kingfisher along a stretch of river close by..

I enjoy reading your reports Petri, especially because you have a very unique way of looking at some thing that most birdwatchers almost never pay too much attention to, complete with pictures etc. (hotels, practical stuff)

I have read and used your Hokkaido report to the full, thanks for that!

I have just read your Ijen report on Cloudbirders. I feel inclined to say that I feel there is a more economic way of visiting Ijen. While being based at our pleasant hotel + infinity pool in Watu Dodol (here: https://goo.gl/maps/jNa4JgaheTJ2), we simply booked an excursion through our hotel, so we had a driver + vehicle for the day that cost us around 60 euro. I did however only have one birding day, a bit short, but I managed to spend a full week later in the trip at Gunung Gede, so I'm not complaining!

Dear Bananafishbones and Temmie,

Thank you for your kind words! One needs look for alternative realities in order to remain sane on these round-the-world birding trips. I have done six, so far, and somehow survived, despite all these people who have tried to interfere with my birding activities.

I guess Ryan had nothing else to do when we first met. It was dead slow day in the park. He gave me some advice and we talked about the birds there, before he left for days, apparently to work somewhere else. In the forest, I was so close to Buff-spotted Flamebacks, so close... but failed to see one, as explained in the report.

In regard to Ijen, I initially tried several approaches and kept on failing, and was therefore reasonably happy enough with the deal I got. Being on a tight schedule, I had to make the deals before arriving in East Java.

The tour service Ketapang Indah offered to me, was twice as expensive as the one organized by Hery. As I wrote in the report, the local tour operators shoot themselves in the leg... Good that you had better luck with Watu Dodol! Sometimes you find the best deal, sometimes you don't.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back