• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brambling. More than usual? (1 Viewer)

Tree Sparrow

I normally only get to see one or two Brambling close to home and usually in Feb and March. However this year I've already seen two. One on the 16th Oct and one today.

I saw that Andrew Whitehouse heard one the other day but I just wondered if anyone else in Scotland (especially the NE) was seeing more than usual?

TS

I normally only get to see one or two Brambling close to home and usually in Feb and March. However this year I've already seen two. One on the 16th Oct and one today.

I saw that Andrew Whitehouse heard one the other day but I just wondered if anyone else in Scotland (especially the NE) was seeing more than usual?

TS

It's often a good time of year for them. They tend to arrive in with Redwings and Fieldfares and I see them quite regularly but then they mysteriously disappear for the rest of the winter. I hope yours stick around though!

It's often a good time of year for them. They tend to arrive in with Redwings and Fieldfares and I see them quite regularly but then they mysteriously disappear for the rest of the winter. I hope yours stick around though!

Maybe I'm just getting better at spotting them. It would be nice if they stayed in the vicinity through the winter.

TS

Hi Fiona

I've not seen any yet, but a good place to look for them is with mixed flocks of Chaffinch and Linnet, especially around stubble fields.

D

I've seen and heard about 7 or 8 brambles since thursday, all at fife ness/killminning/balcomie....the area has been pretty hot the past wee while with its own invasion of firecrests, the radde's, hume's, and the first fife hawfinch for 11-12 yrs..

I've not seen any yet but I do like this time of year when the Finch flock up on the moors starts to build up when you get 100's and 100's of birds.

Good for you TS with early views of the Brambling.... cant wait to see the Autumn / winter firsts down here in Cheshire
Dave

I can never make up my mind if I prefer Spring or Autumn for the new arrivals. But this evening is pretty depressing with the clocks having changed and it's virtually dark now at 5pm with rain beating against the windows......yuck!

TS

Hi Fiona

I've not seen any yet, but a good place to look for them is with mixed flocks of Chaffinch and Linnet, especially around stubble fields.

D

Funnily enough this is the first time in the last 5 years that I haven't had a stubble field right outside the kitchen window as they've turned it back to grass. I'll be interested to see what difference it makes with regards to what I see. I'm certainly not seeing the number of linnet that I normally do but that may change later on.

TS

I've seen and heard about 7 or 8 brambles since thursday, all at fife ness/killminning/balcomie....the area has been pretty hot the past wee while with its own invasion of firecrests, the radde's, hume's, and the first fife hawfinch for 11-12 yrs..

I keep hoping to see something a little more exciting but I don't make it easy for myself by sticking to my local patch lol. I'd be over the moon with any of the above!

TS

I've not seen any yet but I do like this time of year when the Finch flock up on the moors starts to build up when you get 100's and 100's of birds.

I had a massive flock a couple of days ago............I really couldn't make out exactly what was in it but mostly siskin I think, at least that's all I could positively id at the time. I'm totally useless at judging the size of flocks but I don't think 500 would have been out of the question.

TS

I have just spent ages starting a new thread for Moray (whilst I was cooking) and I obviously took too long and lost the whole thing. So maybe that is a sign not to start one lol.

However, just to update on the Brambling, without going into all the detail...again!.....I saw at least 10 on the same tree today.

TS

I had a massive flock a couple of days ago............I really couldn't make out exactly what was in it but mostly siskin I think, at least that's all I could positively id at the time. I'm totally useless at judging the size of flocks but I don't think 500 would have been out of the question.

TS

The flocks that I generally see on the moors consist of mostly Chaffinches but also lots of Bramblings, Linnets, Siskins, Reed Buntings, Yellowhammers and Skylarks.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back