• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Off to Norway this week (1 Viewer)

lazza

This forum doesn't look too well populated, but thought it worth a post anyway.

So, I'm off to Norway for work for the rest of this week, with meetings tomorrow morning first thing in Oslo and then late afternoon in Halden down near the Swedish border. I think I will have about 5 hours between meetings, and it seems to be maybe a 2 hour drive, so I was thinking of heading to Øyeren for a couple of hours.

From maps, I am not sure of the best access point to the best birding parts of the delta. Is there access via the towns of Fetsund and Hovin? And bearing in mind that I will be in a suit(!), are there any good view points that don't involve a hike through the country!?! (I'm thinking of quaysides or harbuours, perhaps...?)

Thanks!

So, I managed an hour by Øyeren lake this afternoon, and after several failed attempts to get near the water, I finally managed it by parking at Lenseveien, on Fetsund, just south east of Lillestrøm.

There is a Nature reserve there, with a visitor centre, although it appears to be open only on Saturdays and Sundays (and I think only for a few hours each of those days). But there is a pleasant path along the edge of the lake and also some "floating" boardwalks to venture further out into the lake (they were settled in the mud when I was there!) Also, there is a feeding station right next to the visitor centre, which was very busy with birds.

And in the hour I was there, I managed just short of 25 species, so was a pleasant way to spend the late afternoon (and avoid the rush hour into Oslo).

For me, the highlights were a pair of displaying goosander and very large numbers of brambling and fieldfare.

Added to this was a pair of common crane in fields not far north of Halden along route 22, making it a good day's opportunistic birding.

I'll post a full list of species seen during the trip on my 2012 List in the lists forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back