• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible trip to Norway (1 Viewer)

walshey

not on a register
Just pondering my next trip, having been to Iceland recently and missed Gyr (again!) the Lincoln's Sparrow was some compensation though! I thought Norway might be a place to finally track my nemesis down. I realise no-one is ever going to reveal precise summer locations but how likely is it for a visting birder to stumble upon and where should I go?
There's some very cheap flights on Ryanair at the moment for mid-summer, either to some place I've never heard of near Bergen or more intriguingly another place I've never heard of in N.Sweden which offers the possibility of a long drive to Varangerfyord. In either place there is one other bird I haven't yet found also. White-backed Woodpecker in the S and Steller's Eider in the N (are there some around in the summer?)
If I hire a car in Sweden is it a problem, or more money if I want to take it into Norway (or Finland for that matter in the N)?

Where do you think I should go?

Did you get to Norway walshey? Sorry but have only just seen this thread. I had White backed Woodpecker a few years ago whilst walking round Granvinsvatnet in the Hardangerfjord area east of Bergen, If you Google Map Granvin, then Granvinsvatnet is the lake just to the north of the village. It's also fairly near the Hardangervidda, a 4000 foot high plateau which is pretty decent birdwise. Gyr Falcon occur on the Hardangervidda although not sure of numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back