• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 80A Scope - Nikon Coolpix 4300 (1 Viewer)

I just got my first scope for Christmas. I already had my Nikon Coolpix camera. Can anyone give me advice on what I need to digiscope? I am finding it difficult to get basic advice and have not seen anyone taking photos this way, so am a complete beginner to the process.

Hi JoiceMillar,
I don't really know your scope and your camera, but from the information I have, I think they can help you. For your scope you don't need the usual FSA adapter made for the high end series of scope, instead you need the SSA system adapter for your particuliar nikon scope. That mean the SSA-1 and SSA-2, if you have the zoom eyepiece you need also the S-ZOOM. For you camera you also need the S-CP885 (for coolpix 885 and 4300) lens mate that screw in front of the camera. Usualy the SSA-1&2 comes together. You also need a way to install a shutter release cable or use the self timer on your camera but it's better to go with the shutter cable. Eagleeyes in UK sell some adapter for the cable so give them a call.So this is for the "mecanical" part, for digiscoping thecniques you can watch at the Andy Bright site (digiscoped.com) or make some search in this forum. I don't think you scope have some chromatic abheration lens treatment Like ED or APO, so it's better to try digiscoping bird with some background that are not the sky, so that give you better picture with less retouching to do.
I hope this help you a bit, and welcome in the digiscoping world.

Thanks for your help with this - am I correct in saying that I need 2 pieces of equipment i.e. an adaptor for the camera and for the scope? (as I say I am a complete beginner). Do you have any ideas where I can get these or see them on a website - I did have a look at www.eagleeyes.co.uk, but I couldn't see any photographic equipment.

you're right, there one adapter that stay on the eyepiece (SSA-1&2+S-zoom) and an other one you screw in front of the lens when you need to take some picture. Together on the scope they make a sturdy coupling. I watch the eagleeye you found, and... it's not the one where I buy my adapter. Try instead www.eagleeye.uk. I'm not living in Europe so don't know well the store in UK, maybe you could try at wharehouse express for the Nikon adapter, I know they also have some eagleeye product. you could try also a google search "SSA-1 uk".
Hope this help you

Nikon also has a site where they have charts that will help you decide what adapters you need. The 80A must be a sky and land scope. There is also a universal adapter listed. Also look at the Simplicity rail on this site. It has some features I envy but will have to wait for. Spent a bundle already. Like the ability to swing the camera out away from the scope to view. handy.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back