• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (29 Viewers)

Between Flamborough and Spurn today there are seven species which would be lifers for me. Tent and sleeping bag are in the car already. Roll on 5PM tomorrow.

There are very few reports away from the most watched places - a massive gap from Flamborough to Easington - obviously the places with reports are the biggest migrant traps, but there's got to be a great prospect of a self-found lifer somewhere along the coast between those points. And with it being weekday have even Danes Dyke and obvious places been scoured?

Not having much luck with campsites at the south end - Withernsea Sands Holiday Park is the only place that will take little one-man tents with birders in. May start at the top with a Seaways Farm camp site on lighthouse road in Flamborough. Anyone know it? Could get a Marsh Warbler in the dawn chorus!

Forecast is clear overnight Friday night - not having experience of falls like this in the past what are the chances of everything clearing off that night? I guess if these birds have been held up by the weather they'll be seriously itching to move on by then?

Graham

Graham it was busy but there looked to be a few plots empty on the North Cliff camp site at Filey, would imagine it will fill up by the weekend.

Went there today for a family trip. Sneaked off for the Red Backed Shrike at the tip, a belting male, lifer for me and my first UK shrike, got some nice pics to process. Met James there and had a quick chat, phoned him later to send him to Flamborough for the great reed warbler. Quite a few goodies reported there late afternoon.

Between Flamborough and Spurn today there are seven species which would be lifers for me. Tent and sleeping bag are in the car already. Roll on 5PM tomorrow.

There are very few reports away from the most watched places - a massive gap from Flamborough to Easington - obviously the places with reports are the biggest migrant traps, but there's got to be a great prospect of a self-found lifer somewhere along the coast between those points. And with it being weekday have even Danes Dyke and obvious places been scoured?

Not having much luck with campsites at the south end - Withernsea Sands Holiday Park is the only place that will take little one-man tents with birders in. May start at the top with a Seaways Farm camp site on lighthouse road in Flamborough. Anyone know it? Could get a Marsh Warbler in the dawn chorus!

Forecast is clear overnight Friday night - not having experience of falls like this in the past what are the chances of everything clearing off that night? I guess if these birds have been held up by the weather they'll be seriously itching to move on by then?

Graham

Graham I urge you to try Holmpton if you are looking for your own birds. I have been three times and found black red, 3 firecrest, 2 ybw, woodcock and leo. I have been the only birder each time. I tend to work the coastal bushes and the small pond and then work the bigger decidous trees. The rub ... there is so much good habitat good birds can disappear. It is perfect for day two/three of fall - look at it on google earth its the best bit of habitat for miles.
Edit: park at the end of school lane walk north and then work in blocks. You have coastal scrub, a small pond, hedgerows, reeds, set aside fields, gardens with fruit trees and mature decidous trees. It's where I would go if I wasn't moving house - bad timing!

Last edited:

Graham

All the best Graham - In terms of stuff sticking, it just depends. Some will move on the clear night, but I guarantee a reasonable spread of good birds along the east coast this weekend, especially with more observers.

Some birds disappeared even during the 27-28th e.g. Subalpine at Filey, so even at the height of the bad weather some will go, and equally even after it has improved some will stck.

Good examples of quality birds sticking for a few days even in good weather - Spectacled Warbler, Filey, Taiga Flycatcher, Flamborough.

Fingers crossed. May even bump into you.

Got out today for a few hours before my night shift. Met Jim at the RB Shrike at Filey. Went on to old fall where i heard MArsh Warbler, found Nightingale and Golden Oriole (female - just like a small Green Woodie). A Savi's was reeling but I was just too late to hear that and the GRW had bugged out. All in all 2 lifers, 2 year birds tres good.

No Lawts unfortunately not! My wife's birthday yesterday so not a good evening for birding! Will go this evening I hope. Took me ages to find the place last time with it being half a mile out of Catton and it was getting dark by the time I got there - should hopefully be there much earlier this evening

Plan to work the East Coast tomorrow.Starting at Spurn, will be in the Crown & Anchor car park at 10.00am and from there where ever the pager indicates the birds.......would like Red Backed Shrike, Icky, RBF and anything else

Thanks for the tip, Marcus. Will be pitching my tent at a little camp site in Holmpton around seven tonight and then seeing what I can before dark - may burn down to Sammy's Point first. Then up at dawn for a self-found Rosefinch, at least.

Graham

So, who's looking after West Yorks this weekend? Will the East Coast roads be jammed? More good birds this weekend no doubt but will it be due to more lookers or are the birds still arriving.

Thinking of sneaking back for a long day this weekend.

It's a bit late to wish you luck Graham but good luck anyway. I've a week off work to look forward to and I'm planning a visit to Bolton Abbey, so if anyone has any tips they will be gratefully accepted. I think if I do as I did last year then I should be OK for the pied flys but seeing as I've not seen redstart for more than 20 years, then that would be good.
Cheers,
Chris.

Me too, looking forward to that Orange Bucket @ Sammy's:-O

Yes, I'm looking forward to ticking the orange bucket. If I can get a pass for this weekend, I'm going to let you guys do all the finding tomorrow, then decide on the best location, and clean up on Sunday.

If I can't get a pass, then I'll not doubt be doing some cleaning up or tidying up in any event, minus the birds.

In fact, cunning plan....I'll wash the car but I need a "new" bucket!

I must be mad. All these migrants about and what do I do?- Plan to head down to Essex then Dorset.

Really hope you guys get some good birds this weekend. I'm off reptile hunting after my own megas in the form of Smooth Snake and Sand Lizard. Also hope to get a few bird lifers such as Dartford Warbler.

I nearly took a detour to Filey for the Rosefinch this PM but a collison with a bus in Scarborough forced me to change my plans!!! My vans a mess but thats another story!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back