• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More California Birds (1 Viewer)

AdamfromCanada

A few more Californian birds for ID confirmation - all taken at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve near Newport Beach - July 2018:

1) Long-billed Curlew - I think the bill is long for whimbrel, and he's lacking the stripes on his head.

2) Willet - grey legs, grey colour, grey bill.

3) Reddish Egret, I believe.

4) More Willets & short-billed dowitcher (left side)?

5) Sandpipers of some sort - I'm not great at identifying them on the ground...never mind in flight.

Attachments

• Long-billed Curlew-2184.jpg
    Long-billed Curlew-2184.jpg
    719.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Willet-2163.jpg
    Willet-2163.jpg
    880.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Reddish Egret-2229.jpg
    Reddish Egret-2229.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 73
  • Willets & dowitcher-2191.jpg
    Willets & dowitcher-2191.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Sandpipers-2217.jpg
    Sandpipers-2217.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 50
A few more Californian birds for ID confirmation - all taken at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve near Newport Beach - July 2018:

1) Long-billed Curlew - I think the bill is long for whimbrel, and he's lacking the stripes on his head.

2) Willet - grey legs, grey colour, grey bill.

3) Reddish Egret, I believe.

4) More Willets & short-billed dowitcher (left side)?

5) Sandpipers of some sort - I'm not great at identifying them on the ground...never mind in flight.

Definitely right on #1-3. I think you're correct on #4, though I'm not sure if the bird on the right is a Greater Yellowlegs. Perhaps they're all Willet.

I am assuming Western Sandpipers for #5.

#4 Looks like a Little Blue Heron, not a Reddish Egret. The red is duller.

Attachments

• LILBLUEHeron502.JPG
    LILBLUEHeron502.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
#4 Looks like a Little Blue Heron, not a Reddish Egret. The red is duller.

Here's a couple more photos of him.

He was relatively large too. The Little Blues I've seen have all looked a lot daintier.

Attachments

• Reddish Egret-2224.jpg
    Reddish Egret-2224.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Reddish Egret-2226.jpg
    Reddish Egret-2226.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 30
Here's a couple more photos of him.

He was relatively large too. The Little Blues I've seen have all looked a lot daintier.

Well, I live in New York, and have Never seen a Reddish Egret. They never come up here. I have seen and photographed MANY Little Blues. I checked with Google Images, and a good 30 percent of the photographs are actually Little Blues. Here's a down loaded picture (I.e. Not mine) of a Reddish Egret.

Attachments

• Reddish_Egret.jpg
    Reddish_Egret.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 23
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back