Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Ever had a scary incident with a bird ?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 28th August 2015, 14:21   #1
senatore

Ever had a scary incident with a bird ?

Earlier in the week at my local patch I'd just started along the path to one of the hides when I disturbed a couple of small birds.They both scurried off into the tall grass on a bank to the right of the path.

As I stood by the bottom of the bank trying to get another look to ID them the grass parted and something raced down (just like the Veloceraptors did in one of the Jurassic park films) and a female Pheasant burst out onto the path.

Just as I was trying to recover from this shock it went on to the attack.It hissed and screeched and flew up at me a few times before I beat a hasty retreat and went to another hide.What a brave mother defending her chicks but damn scary at the time.

Have any of you had a scary incident while out birding.I'd love to hear it if you have.

Max
Old Friday 28th August 2015, 14:43   #2
West End Birder

Yes while flying my plane at about 1500 ft got very close to a Buzzard circling, fortunately we got out of each others' way, doesn't bear thinking about having a Buzzard hit your windscreen at 135mph (and we are talking perspex not reinforced glass!)
Old Friday 28th August 2015, 15:15   #3
ChrisKten
It's true, I quite like Pigeons

Not really scary, but a bit of a shock at the time:

I see many different Sparrowhawk attacks in my garden, as it's a safe area with food and water. Well, safe apart from the Sparrowhawks that are drawn to any area with potential prey. If a Sparrowhawk is spooked while eating (sometimes by a Cat or a persistent Squirrel, or a neighbour) and leaves it's meal (maybe too awkward and heavy to carry off easily), it will often return the same day to finish eating. I had a female kill a Pigeon in the morning, and return in the evening to finish eating; I was in the garden at the time, and she landed on my fence... stared at the long dead Pigeon... stared at me (I was standing motionless under one of my trees) and then she flew at my head, well, into the tree inches above me. I never had time to react, it was over in a split-second, but it was quite a shock. I'm pretty sure she didn't lead with her talons, just flew normally into the tree, but Sparrowhawks fly fast even when they fly slowly, so I can't be sure

Oh, she stayed in my trees until I went indoors, but flew down to start to finish her meal before I even slid the door shut properly
Old Friday 28th August 2015, 15:35   #4
Tarsiger

Not personally, but this is almost as bad as it can get
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x8R-lRWxZkk
Old Friday 28th August 2015, 15:37   #5
andyadcock

We've all had it, walking along quietly when a Snipe or Pheasant wait for you to almost step on them before exploding from the undergrowth.

Happens to me often with Snipe on my patch in Russia, must have taken at least ten years off my life this year alone!

Apart from that, whilst birding I've had a close scrape with Sumatran Tiger and been present when someone was gored by a Buffalo plus the odd encounter with Cobras and Pythons. My girlfriend stepped on a Scorpion in Africa too, all par for the course.

Can't wait to be somewhere where I might meet a Grizzly......NOT!

Andy

Last edited by andyadcock : Friday 28th August 2015 at 15:41.
Old Friday 28th August 2015, 15:37   #6
Mike C
Emeritus President at Burnage Rugby Club

Not me but in 1937 Eric Hosking (a pioneering wildlife photographer) was attacked by a Tawny Owl, subsequently losing an eye.
Old Friday 28th August 2015, 15:43   #7
Tarsiger

Seem to remember being in a group of people one of whom ended up floored and being stabbed at by Red crowned Crane in China, face down in the dirt avoiding an irate Ural Owl and three fingers cut open through gloves by a Bittern and a cut lip due to a hummingbird spp!!

Russ
Old Friday 28th August 2015, 15:59   #8
Jeff hopkins

I've been dive-bombed by common terns, mockingbirds, and willy-wagtails. Other than that, also spooked out of my shorts by ruffed grouse flushing.
Old Friday 28th August 2015, 17:01   #9
Tsunamispeakershawks

Have you read a story about Michael Peterson? He is a relatively well known writer, who was accused and convicted for murder of his wife, but his new layer says it was an owl who killed the lady. Peterson was released from jail. The owl is wanted for murder

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/spe...e10365449.html
Old Friday 28th August 2015, 17:58   #10
Jon Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Not me but in 1937 Eric Hosking (a pioneering wildlife photographer) was attacked by a Tawny Owl, subsequently losing an eye.
Which is why I approach my Owl box with extreme caution. Earlier this year as I climbed the ladder one of the Owls exited the box, I ducked and it bounced off my shoulder!
Old Friday 28th August 2015, 18:17   #11
Pinewood
New York correspondent

encounters with a hawk

Hello,

On a couple of occasions I have been buzzed by red-tailed hawks, probably immature ones. They have a large wingspan, up to 1.75 m. Having one fly close overhead, even a metre above the head was upsetting the first time. After I realized that they never attack humans, I was not quite as scared on the subsequent occasions.

Image by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red-tailed on a branch.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	556007  
Old Friday 28th August 2015, 19:38   #12
coal tit
COAL TIT

Tawny Owl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Yes I have seen that photo of the Owl you mention which he just Took on film before the attack, a great wildlife photographer gets a mention in Many books I,ve read in the past.
Old Saturday 29th August 2015, 13:29   #13
senatore

Some scary tales there everyone.Thanks for sharing.

Max
Old Saturday 29th August 2015, 13:49   #14
chris butterworth
aka The Person Named Above

I've had a few very close calls with nesting Ural Owl in Japan. Tawny Owl are bad enough,
but Urals can be twice as big, and attempt to rip your face off when you're 100m away from the nest. Psychotic buggers.

"Before the internet, this was all fields."
Old Saturday 29th August 2015, 20:20   #15
John Cantelo

I once met a Cassowary coming along a narrow path. As it was in the grounds of Cassowary House (Cairns) where the birds a pretty used to people I wasn't too worried and it calmly bypassed me through the light woodland, but I confess to being a little nervous as it walked by.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Saturday 29th August 2015, 22:19   #16
jurek

Animals which most often scare me are mice and blackbirds. When you go owling at dusk, these two can make surprisingly loud noise rustling dry leaves. In contrast, big animals can move very quietly.
Old Sunday 30th August 2015, 19:25   #17
AllanM

Only with the one my sister tried to set me up with!
Old Sunday 30th August 2015, 19:45   #18
Allen S. Moore

One not to do yourself!

This wasn't even on a birdwatching trip, but happened about 35 years ago when a couple of mates and I went into one of the many old mine adits around certain parts of the Manx coast. The adit didn't go in very far, but all of a sudden there was an almighty din, as if the roof of the mine was collapsing. The cause of the noise was actually a feral pigeon fleeing over our heads from the back of the mine.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 31st August 2015, 16:56   #19
wolfbirder

The female Eagle Owl from the well-publicised breeding pair in 2007 at Dunsop Bridge, Lancashire looked at me in anger, and then flew about 2 feet above my head, I don't think I appreciated the potential for harm at the time. But I had it in my bins as it came closer and closer and closer, thankfully it didn't go for me in the end.
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Monty, Gyr, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Nightjars, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, Divers, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.
Old Monday 31st August 2015, 17:34   #20
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
The female Eagle Owl from the well-publicised breeding pair in 2007 at Dunsop Bridge, Lancashire looked at me in anger, and then flew about 2 feet above my head, I don't think I appreciated the potential for harm at the time. But I had it in my bins as it came closer and closer and closer, thankfully it didn't go for me in the end.

Going of on a tangent but what became of that pair?

Andy
Old Monday 31st August 2015, 17:35   #21
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post

Going off on a tangent but what became of that pair?

Andy
Old Monday 31st August 2015, 21:34   #22
JTweedie

Pecked on the head by a tern is about as scary as it has ever got - i.e. not much, although it was slightly intimidating especially when one let up and another tern took over, it was like running the gauntlet! Best thing to do in that situation is get in a group and make sure someone else is taller than you!
Old Monday 31st August 2015, 23:44   #23
kawwauser

I once drove past a deceased barn owl at the roadside, it was too busy to stop,a considerable time later I returned and decided to pick up the owl,as I picked it up it suddenly came to life, thankfully it was more interested in escaping rather than defending itself, its made me a lot more wary about dead birds

BF Supporter 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 1st September 2015, 14:10   #24
grobble

A Dunnock just gave me a funny look!
Old Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 07:18   #25
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

Not me personally I remember being in a Country Park birding I was having my lunch at a picnic bench a Peacock came over and started looking at me and wandered around the table. When a couple of folk went by it started chasing them as if to stay away never seen that before.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: