Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

RSPB very rarely check membership cards

Old Thursday 13th July 2017, 15:28   #26
Graham Osborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN JAMES THOMPSON View Post
How do you know the RSPB don't lose money. They can pay for there entrance fee or join the RSPB. Why should non-member get free admission where there's a charge.
Ian.
Clearly they shouldn't, but having now had about 7 years' experience as a Hides & Trails volunteer at RSPB Pulborough Brooks, my own perception leads me to believe that this is not a significant problem. Besides, one of the good things about Pulborough Brooks is that Members (or cheating non-Members!) can gain access to the reserve at any time throughout the year other than on Christmas Day, which I think presents another reason to support the RSPB's current approach.

BF Supporter 2004 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 13th July 2017, 15:31   #27
John Cantelo

I would expect that any non-members in an RSPB group would be informed by the leader of the group that they would be expected to pay the entry fee when visiting a reserve and that social pressure would do the rest. If not I would expect a forceful, but polite, reminder by the leader of the group would be forthcoming. Hence demanding to see the membership cards of everyone in an RSPB group party is likely to be counter-productive and a waste of time. More widely, the questions to consider are a) how many regularly 'cheat'? b) how many are encouraged to join by a non-confrontational non-officious approach? c) even if some don't pay, is the deficit thus created outweighed by the educational value (in the broadest sense) provided by the visit. My impression, when working or visiting Dungeness RSPB, was that very few people 'try it on' and even if they did then the benefits of the more relaxed and friendly a welcome, which this policy fosters, outweighed any losses. I also feel that regular staff, volunteer or paid, were actually pretty good at spotting non-members and able to address the issue in a non-officious friendly way. The RSPB is very good at analysing such matters and I suspect have a very shrewd idea of the balance sheet in this regard. The downsides to being officious and demanding to see cards are not hard to fathom, the most obvious one being that you can put off staunch supporters. I'm old enough to remember when the RSPB was very officious with visits needing to be booked in advance and you were regularly pounced upon on entry. I have no doubt that part of the reason for the society's growth to become one of the largest organisations of its sort is because of the more liberal and welcoming policy currently in force. To deviate from it would be a huge mistake.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/

Last edited by John Cantelo : Thursday 13th July 2017 at 21:54.
Old Thursday 13th July 2017, 16:19   #28
jim48
jim48

Many reserves have public rights of way which cannot be restricted( the rules for dogs usually indicate where they are). Much of Scotland has public Right to Roam as do parts of England and Wales. Both these make enforcing entry charges tricky .

Jim48
Old Thursday 13th July 2017, 16:48   #29
Mike C
Emeritus President at Burnage Rugby Club

At the last four RSPB reserves I visited (Burton Mere Wetlands, Conwy, Minsmere and Titchwell) membership cards were rigorously checked.
Old Thursday 13th July 2017, 20:10   #30
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
.... Titchwell .. membership cards were rigorously checked.
Really? Isn't the path to the beach along Titchwell's west edge (and past all the hides) a public right of way? I've never been asked for membership there.

Edit: yep, checked on map, it's a public right of way, they can't stop you walking along it. All they'd be able to do is have a staff member (or vol.) in each hide to check cards, and I've not known that happen.

Minsmere I can understand, it's a 'closed' site so they can keep tabs on who goes in our out. Not been to Burton Mere Wetlands or Conwy so no idea.

Last edited by Nutcracker : Thursday 13th July 2017 at 20:12.
Old Thursday 13th July 2017, 20:12   #31
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Last time I went to Titchwell membership cards were left on windscreens in the car park to avoid having to Pay & Display
Old Thursday 13th July 2017, 21:59   #32
John Cantelo

Dungeness is another place where a public footpath runs through the centre of the reserve rendering rigid checking of membership cards on entry pointless. With regard to Titchwell, I've never been asked to show my membership card which is scarcely surprising given that, as Phil points out, you're asked to leave it in the windscreen (as I recall non-members are expected to pay a parking fee but I don't know how far this is enforced).

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Thursday 13th July 2017, 22:32   #33
Mike C
Emeritus President at Burnage Rugby Club

Apologies all, bit of a brain fart as said membership cards on dashboard at Titchwell.
BMW and Conwy are closed sites
Old Friday 14th July 2017, 20:20   #34
Original PaulE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Really? Isn't the path to the beach along Titchwell's west edge (and past all the hides) a public right of way? I've never been asked for membership there.

Edit: yep, checked on map, it's a public right of way, they can't stop you walking along it. All they'd be able to do is have a staff member (or vol.) in each hide to check cards, and I've not known that happen.

Minsmere I can understand, it's a 'closed' site so they can keep tabs on who goes in our out. Not been to Burton Mere Wetlands or Conwy so no idea.
Minsmere is not a closed site you can enter from the beach and from near the island mere hide
Old Friday 14th July 2017, 20:25   #35
Original PaulE

The other difficulty of course is that most RSPB sites are dawn to dusk , with entry through side gates when staff not present, any policy that meant all cards have to be check would either mean increased costs to staff at this time or more likely reserves closed when staff not present which would annoy this RSPB member a lot!!!!
I also feel that the original posts implies that most people are dishonest or trying to get away with something and I don't think that is true for the majority of people, especially I like to think people who go birding!!
Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 00:12   #36
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original PaulE View Post
Minsmere is not a closed site you can enter from the beach and from near the island mere hide
But how long a hike is that from the nearest car parking? Very few people are going to walk a mile or more just to avoid paying.
Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 10:50   #37
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
But how long a hike is that from the nearest car parking? Very few people are going to walk a mile or more just to avoid paying.
Before Minsmere opened at dawn, it was common for keen birders to park at Westleton and walk south.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 12:46   #38
MalR

Congratulations to Ian James Thompson, winner of this month's Bird Forum award for the Biggest Storm in a Teacup Thread.

I mean, seriously, given the work of the RSPB and the issues it faces, is there really any point in this discussion?

Malcolm
Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 15:06   #39
MJB

Quote:
And that post is just gobildeegook.
Ian.
Only to linear thinkers Ian!

Oh, I love your new spelling, which doubtless will soon appear in the OED.
MJB
Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 18:12   #40
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalR View Post
Congratulations to Ian James Thompson, winner of this month's Bird Forum award for the Biggest Storm in a Teacup Thread.

I mean, seriously, given the work of the RSPB and the issues it faces, is there really any point in this discussion?

Malcolm
Just sarcasm from you. Not very constructive.
Ian.
Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 18:13   #41
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Only to linear thinkers Ian!

Oh, I love your new spelling, which doubtless will soon appear in the OED.
MJB
If you can just be sarcastic about my spelling. Not very pleasant at all from you at all.
Ian.
Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 18:15   #42
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

The RSPB Community Forum is a far more pleasant place to post on. No sarcasm from anyone like on here. They can at least discuss subjects on that forum without sarcasm from anyone.
Ian.
Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 18:22   #43
Phil Andrews

Well I object to the RSPB wasting it's time and money on creating and monitoring an online community forum ...
Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 18:24   #44
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
Well I object to the RSPB wasting it's time and money on creating and monitoring an online community forum ...
Well at least it's a far more friendly forum than on here. Just because my spelling is not very good. Someone posts a not very nice post about my spelling.
Ian.
Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 18:29   #45
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

Okay guys. Let's calm it down please.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 18:32   #46
Phil Andrews

For whatever reason in this threads and many others you have started you seem to view being a (life) member of the RSPB as some form of financial transaction - many people would quite happily be members and never visit a reserve, knowing their shilling is going to preserve habitat and species.
Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 18:39   #47
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
. Just because my spelling is not very good. Someone posts a not very nice post about my spelling.
So it's okay for you to use the word gobbledygook to describe someone's post (i.e. calling it meaningless or unintelligible), but not nice that someone jokes about your spelling of this word?

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 15th July 2017, 18:42   #48
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
So it's okay for you to use the word gobbledygook to describe someone's post (i.e. calling it meaningless or unintelligible), but not nice that someone jokes about your spelling of this word?
Why should someone comment about my spelling, they don't know anything about me. I mentioned gobbledygook as someone was just posting a sarcastic post about the thread I started. Not very nice.
Ian.
Old Sunday 16th July 2017, 09:19   #49
MTem

I agree with Ian here. There is no need to make any comments directed at him as an individual; it is sufficient to stick to comments and information relating to the original post and its content.

Here Ian, I hope you now have a better understanding of perhaps why the RSPB does not 'police' entry fees quite are forcefully as you seem originally to feel was merited. I do hope you, in the light of this new information, are now reassured that the organisation has thought through their strategy on this topic and come to the right decision. A decision that I hope you can now support.

As has been intimated above, I view my subscription as a 'donation with ancillary benefits', not a 'payment for exclusive entitlements', and suggest you might consider yours in a similar vein.
Happy birding
Mick

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 16th July 2017, 10:33   #50
Zheljko

What is the profile of non-payers? I think most people not interested in birding would just stay away from the reserve (they can have fun in a normal park and pub if they want) unless they want to do something forbidden like make a barbecue in the forest, and then they should be legally dealt with for their recognized crime/felony. Then there would be less wealthy persons who maybe want to have one memorable day. If there is an entrance gate you can just have people selling tickets and checking the member cards. If it is just unfenced wilderness there is probably some local law on trespassing.

As for the group that was not asked to take their membership cards out of their pockets, they were certainly expected as a group: "there will be 20 or so persons who are members of our organization, they will visit our reserve on this particular date, they go everywhere together as one unit, the group includes serious experienced birders. So there turned to be 22 persons instead of 20, ok, the extra two persons are gratis, they are not going to spend more resources than the group of exactly 20."
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: