Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

May/June Moths

Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 20:39   #151
Rubia

Just put trap out and you are right, it is windy and much cooler. Perhaps a shorter session and early night.
Last night's, 21/05, produced 97 moths of 36 species. It got to the point where I ran out of tubes, with so many coming in just after midnight, and I had to put 2 or 3 to a tube from the house wall. As a result I stopped earlier than usual. Several new for both me and the garden but mostly micros. Nice to get 2 Elephants and only 1 Small Heffalump. My first garden Powdered Quaker, Small Magpie and Small Square-spot. Common Wainscot and H&D in double figures. Plus a Shore Sexton Beetle which I could smell from 6 feet away: I love them but they do niff bad. Serious tube washing ahead.
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 05:04   #152
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia View Post
Just put trap out and you are right, it is windy and much cooler. Perhaps a shorter session and early night.
Last night's, 21/05, produced 97 moths of 36 species. It got to the point where I ran out of tubes, with so many coming in just after midnight, and I had to put 2 or 3 to a tube from the house wall. As a result I stopped earlier than usual. Several new for both me and the garden but mostly micros. Nice to get 2 Elephants and only 1 Small Heffalump. My first garden Powdered Quaker, Small Magpie and Small Square-spot. Common Wainscot and H&D in double figures. Plus a Shore Sexton Beetle which I could smell from 6 feet away: I love them but they do niff bad. Serious tube washing ahead.
We used to get Burying Beetles Nicrophorus vespillo to the light in Russia, what a horrendous stink they leave on anything they touch.

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 23rd May 2020 at 05:12.
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 06:39   #153
Farnboro John

A lot less came in last night - I trapped despite the wind because the Northerly aspect of my back garden meant it was sheltered, but it obviously made a substantial difference to the catch.

Even the Heart and Dart plague was down to 21 individuals, by far the biggest proportion of a total catch of 26 moths of 5 species. On the bright side Scorched Wing was a tick!

So no complaints and definitely worth the effort. Effort.... ha! I piled some eggboxes, inserted an electric plug in a socket and slept like a log. I love my moth trap.

John
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 07:56   #154
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
A lot less came in last night - I trapped despite the wind because the Northerly aspect of my back garden meant it was sheltered, but it obviously made a substantial difference to the catch.

Even the Heart and Dart plague was down to 21 individuals, by far the biggest proportion of a total catch of 26 moths of 5 species. On the bright side Scorched Wing was a tick!

So no complaints and definitely worth the effort. Effort.... ha! I piled some eggboxes, inserted an electric plug in a socket and slept like a log. I love my moth trap.

John
I'm on a high, exposed corner which really gets blasted, no point trapping in anything other than a light breeze.
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 09:48   #155
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Smallest catch of the week but two NFY - Turnip Moth and Setaceous Hebrew Character.

I've been catching the latter for years and never thought about what setaceous means. Just looked it up to enlighten myself - not a meaning I had expected.

Steve
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 14:15   #156
andyadcock

Just found a Campion on the wall near my light,
it must have sat there since I last trapped two nights ago, not wanting to fly in the wind.
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 14:16   #157
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
Smallest catch of the week but two NFY - Turnip Moth and Setaceous Hebrew Character.

I've been catching the latter for years and never thought about what setaceous means. Just looked it up to enlighten myself - not a meaning I had expected.

Steve
Now you've made me look as well.

I always assumed it referred to the "Hebrew Character" itself - I'm well and truly disabused of that!

John
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 15:26   #158
Britseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post

Steve
I've looked before, but had to look again just now to refresh my memory. Now to go unshaven for a week and casually slip it into conversation with some unsuspecting listener.
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 22:20   #159
Rubia

22/05 Gave me 46 moths of 22 species. New for garden - Blood-vein and Agapeta hamana.
9 Heart & Dart, 5 Nutmeg, 4 Common Wainscot the big hitters. A change of Sextons with Black Sexton instead, sadly using the same aftershave as his cousin!
I collected a generator today for away days, once home games get too repetitive.
I checked out Setaceous three days ago, I realised I should have known once I saw the meaning as the term Setae occurs in worm, beetle and moss keys. Just shows something out of context doesn't always click in the mind.
Here in Herts its blowing a gale and feels very cold so no trap tonight.
Old Sunday 24th May 2020, 07:16   #160
Farnboro John

With the wind still in the Southern quarter I again decided the house would shelter the back garden and put the trap out. My reward was the usual avalanche of Heart and Dart (18 last night) and just three other moths, but one was NFY Setaceous Hebrew Character, so it was all worthwhile!

John
Old Sunday 24th May 2020, 07:43   #161
andyadcock

Just a waste of time here at the moment, not point trying in a gale such as we've had for three days now.
Old Sunday 24th May 2020, 08:59   #162
Jabberwocky

My last catch was on the 21st, I've not bothered in the recent strong winds.
I managed to ID 113moths on 21st, 96 macros and 17 micros, 37 and 10 species. There were a few escapes and a couple of worn pugs that were beyond me. New for year were Clouded Silver, Laticed Heath, Large Nutmeg, Orange Footman, Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet, Purple Bar, Dark Brocade, White Point, Middle-barred Minor, Bright-line Brown-eye, Burnished Brass and May Highflyer(NFG). Of the micros Brown House Moth, Rhodophaea formosa and Ancylis achatana were new for year. For the second time running Treble Lines was top with 13 both times.

I've also added Horse-chestnut Leaf Miner( large tree in front garden) and today a White-shouldered House-moth, indoors this morning, to my year list. Total so far stands at 115.

Tonight looks as if it could be better with less wind so I'll have another try.

Lewis
Old Sunday 24th May 2020, 09:57   #163
Allen

3 x pale tussock, 3 x bufftip and 1 x broken barred carpet (in Haslemere). I'd be interested in what traps others are using given the higher numbers you get versus my set up. Thanks

"You should have been here 5 minutes ago"
Old Sunday 24th May 2020, 10:13   #164
Rubia

Hi Allen
I'm using a MV Robinson.
Two friends use actinics and a comparison seems to show the MV attracts more. Having said that, one of them seems to attract some slightly different moths to me, so it may be a bit 'swings and roundabouts'.
Old Sunday 24th May 2020, 11:25   #165
Farnboro John

Allen, your inbox is full!

My trap is an actinic.

Cheers

John
Old Sunday 24th May 2020, 11:35   #166
Jabberwocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
3 x pale tussock, 3 x bufftip and 1 x broken barred carpet (in Haslemere). I'd be interested in what traps others are using given the higher numbers you get versus my set up. Thanks
I'm using a home made MV trap, I haven't got an actinic at the moment but I have caught some in an actinic that I have never caught in an MV trap. One of my daughters is showing an interest, as are the grandchildren, so I've said I'll build her one. I think I'll do two while I'm at it and keep one for myself. I've room to run two traps and it will be interesting to compare the catches.
Its not unusual to get two to three hundred moths in my trap in the summer. Can be a bit time consuming to ID that many and may be too many for someone just starting out.

Lewis
Old Sunday 24th May 2020, 12:46   #167
aeshna5

This morning on my weekly local patch walk

Cinnabar
Common Carpet
dancing swarm of c30 Nemophora degeerella & a mating pair being attacked by a small linyphid spider on its web
Alabonia geoffrella- such a smart micro!
Old Sunday 24th May 2020, 13:42   #168
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia View Post
Hi Allen
I'm using a MV Robinson.
Two friends use actinics and a comparison seems to show the MV attracts more. Having said that, one of them seems to attract some slightly different moths to me, so it may be a bit 'swings and roundabouts'.
Light source is definitely a factor in what you catch.

I experimented some years ago with a basic, 1m strip light from my kitchen and when doing so, I caught lots of the lcally scarce Gothic. Since using a blended MV bulb, I haven't had one for several years.
Old Sunday 24th May 2020, 21:46   #169
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Allen, your inbox is full!

My trap is an actinic.

Cheers

John
Thanks John, inbox emptied!!!

"You should have been here 5 minutes ago"
Old Monday 25th May 2020, 06:28   #170
Farnboro John

Better last night though not as much as I'd hoped. 36 Moths of 8 species. Peppered Moth (a pale one) NFY;Heart and Darts continue their rampage with 21 but 4 Treble Lines and 3 Willow Beauties matched the Shuttles.

Only three May Bugs; I saw a Stag Beetle drone past in the dusk out the front.

John
Old Monday 25th May 2020, 08:02   #171
andyadcock

Two moths and a Meat Fly for me last night.

Sounds ike the start of a joke, 'two moths and a Meat Fly walk in to a bar'..............
Old Monday 25th May 2020, 11:18   #172
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

Short session last night produced a couple of NFY -
pale tussock
marbled minor agg
Parapoynx stratiotata
common swift

plus one cockchaffer (also NFY).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parapoynx stratiotata.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	728149  Click image for larger version

Name:	common swift ex IMG_1113.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	728150  
Old Monday 25th May 2020, 11:36   #173
Rubia

Last night was my first 3 figure catch. 100 moths of 23 species.
4 Bee Moths, 3 Brimstones, 1 Pale Tussock, 2 Foxglove Pugs, 1 Green Carpet, 17 Heart & Dart, 2 Common Marbled Carpet, 4 Willow Beauties, 23 Common Wainscots, 6 Treble Lines, 8 Light Brown Apple Moths, 13 Nutmegs, 1 Light Emerald, 2 Small Waved Umbers, 2 Large Nutmeg, 1 Buff-tip, 2 Vine's Rustics, 1 Setaceous Hebrew Character, 1 Crambus lathoniellus, 3 Spectacles, 1 Scalloped Hazel, 1 Celypha lacunana, 1 Argyresthia cupressella.

Vine's Rustic and Argyresthia cupressella were new for the garden, the latter new to me too.

I have been warned that today 100 is a thing of joy but in a few weeks there will be more than I can process in a day!
Old Monday 25th May 2020, 12:41   #174
Jabberwocky

I moved my trap to a new position last night but it was much cooler and the catch was down to 60. 51 macro and 9 micro, 21 and 7 species. Treble Lines was again top with 14, equal with May Bugs. New for year were Common Marbled Carpet, Pale Prominent, Enarmonia formosana and Notocelia uddmanniana. The last one was also new for the garden. Also in the trap was a Tipula maxima, the largest British Cranefly.

Lewis
Old Monday 25th May 2020, 15:05   #175
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
I moved my trap to a new position last night but it was much cooler and the catch was down to 60. 51 macro and 9 micro, 21 and 7 species. Treble Lines was again top with 14, equal with May Bugs. New for year were Common Marbled Carpet, Pale Prominent, Enarmonia formosana and Notocelia uddmanniana. The last one was also new for the garden. Also in the trap was a Tipula maxima, the largest British Cranefly.

Lewis
60.51 Macros, was one of them cut in half...........
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: