Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

A few more from Mexico - Yucatan

Old Saturday 9th August 2008, 20:43   #1
Peter Withers
formerly tubbtubby

A few more from Mexico - Yucatan

I have a few more that I am struggling to positively ID from my hols, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0324vireo.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	153991  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0767thrush.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	153993  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7338unknown.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	153995  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7351wood.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	153997  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7599woody.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	154000  

Peters Website (Being Overhauled).
Old Saturday 9th August 2008, 21:30   #2
jason-t-71
An admirer of Kelly Brooks' talents.

The bird in the double photo is a Bananaquit. Very common in Tobago when I was there last year!
Old Sunday 10th August 2008, 02:29   #3
Birdingcraft

Cool photos- thanks for sharing!
From left to right:
Yes, Bananaquit
Clay-colored Robin
Great-tailed Grackle (juv?)
last two are either Yucatan or Golden-fronted Woodpeckers. Cant say for sure about the blurry one, the second looks like a juv Golden-fronted to me because the bill looks too long to be Yucatan.
Old Sunday 10th August 2008, 18:25   #4
Jim M.
Choose Civility

I do not see Great-tailed Grackle in the third photo. Compare this photo of a juvenile Great-tailed Grackle: http://hawfinches.co.uk/Costa_Rica/I...rackle-450.jpg

The bill looks too thick and the head too rounded for that species. The back also looks too be light blue colored to me, and I see no brownish coloration. I would guess some type of juvenile jay; but I do not know what the juvenile jays from Mexico look like, so could not guess as to species.

Best,
Jim

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 10th August 2008, 20:31   #5
Motmot
Eduardo Amengual

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Moore View Post
I do not see Great-tailed Grackle in the third photo. Compare this photo of a juvenile Great-tailed Grackle: http://hawfinches.co.uk/Costa_Rica/I...rackle-450.jpg

The bill looks too thick and the head too rounded for that species. The back also looks too be light blue colored to me, and I see no brownish coloration. I would guess some type of juvenile jay; but I do not know what the juvenile jays from Mexico look like, so could not guess as to species.

Best,
Jim
The bird you linked is not a juv but a female, the pale yellow iris is an adult feature. The subject has a dark iris, good for a juvenile GT Grackle, the only grackle in Mexico. As Patrick stated, the bird is a juv Great-tailed Grackle.
Bill size/colours/shape and head shape look also fine to my eyes. Check this female for comparison:

http://www.birdpeeps.com/birding/fil...el.preview.jpg

and also this good juv GT Grackle:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_1bgweA2dVeM/SG...1+juvenile.jpg

Cheers,
Eduardo
Old Sunday 10th August 2008, 20:49   #6
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motmot View Post
The bird you linked is not a juv but a female, the pale yellow iris is an adult feature.
Hi Eduardo,

I will defer to your greater experience with central american birds. However, the bird I linked to is described as a juvenile on the website: http://hawfinches.co.uk/Costa_Rica/Other_Sites.htm

Moreover, my Sibley's says that the "juvenile's iris [is] pale by October", so a pale iris is not exclusively an adult feature. And I was not suggesting the eye color difference was significant in any event.

It still looks quite odd to me and I am puzzled by the lack of any brownish tones (which all your links also show), but you usually know what you are talking about and I will admit I have limited experience with juvenile Great-tailed Grackles.

Best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim M. : Sunday 10th August 2008 at 21:09.

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 10th August 2008, 21:19   #7
Chris Benesh
So much work, so little time...so let's go birding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Moore View Post
It still looks quite odd to me and I am puzzled by the lack of any brownish tones (which all your links also show), but you usually know what you are talking about and I will admit I have limited experience with juvenile Great-tailed Grackles.
Hi Jim,

I agree with Eduardo. There are not really too many alternatives to Great-tailed Grackle - well, more like none. I see brownish tones to the face and underparts of the mystery bird, and it has the face pattern of a non-adult-male Great-tailed and seemingly, an elongated, graduated tail of some sort. The lack of any real sheen to the upperparts and the dark iris suggest it is a rather young bird.

Chris
visit my website

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 10th August 2008, 21:29   #8
Motmot
Eduardo Amengual

Well, I would like to know why they think it's a juv on that mere trip report of some visitors to CRica. For being semi bald or something? Once juvs perform their complete/almost complete post juvenile moult (like the subject apparently has), short after leaving the nest, it is better to age them using eye colour. Once this has changed... females are very confusing, males don't look as smart adults, being much less shiny and beautiful and can be told apart many times.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: