• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed on bird list (free bird list!) (1 Viewer)

snuttall

Hi all :) I hope it's okay to post external links here - this is not for profit or commercial gain, simply a bird lover's personal initiative!

A friend of mine has set up a website aimed at beginner and novice birdwatchers (though anybody might benefit!) centred around a downloadable list of 259 British bird species. The challenge to those starting out is to spot as many of the 259 as possible and record them on the free bird tracker. As well as hoping that people will discover the pure joy of watching birds it's also an attempt to raise awareness of the precarious situation of many of our bird species.

Although it's aimed at getting beginners and novices involved in birdwatching and conservation, my friend would massively appreciate any feedback any resident experts and might have on the site and/or bird tracker. If you know of somebody who might be interested in using the site please do also spread the word!

Any feedback I can pass on (or you can also send a message directly using the form at the bottom of the website) would be really appreciated.

The website is at http://www.birdsgottaspotemall.co.uk

When ever I see projects like this I have to wonder why?

The BTO runs Birdtrack a widely supported project that gathers regular data from thousands of birders in a common format.

The RSPB, the WWT, the Wildlife Trusts all run public engagement campaigns.

Why not encourage people to take part in these rather than spent time and effort producing something that will in the best case simply duplicate the existing efforts of others and in the worst case be used by nobody?

Hi Astley

I don't know of a word document, most are based around a spread sheet.

How old is your son? Is it just UK/European birds he wants to tick, or world-wide?

If he can operate a computer, what about getting him to build his own list on a s/s. He can then just enter the birds he's actually seen onto it, or he could work his way through a field guide putting all the birds in there onto his list.

Clements has a free downloadable list of all the world's birds (around 10,000!). You can get that HERE (a spreadsheet).

A few ideas for you to go at.

Hi Astley

I don't know of a word document, most are based around a spread sheet.

How old is your son? Is it just UK/European birds he wants to tick, or world-wide?

If he can operate a computer, what about getting him to build his own list on a s/s. He can then just enter the birds he's actually seen onto it, or he could work his way through a field guide putting all the birds in there onto his list.

Clements has a free downloadable list of all the world's birds (around 10,000!). You can get that HERE (a spreadsheet).

A few ideas for you to go at.

Thanks Delia.

He is 11 at present, just loves his ticklists.

We recently went to South Africa, and in a bookstore found a small notebook with all the birds names and a space to note where and what time you saw them. He loved it and was just trying to sort something out for UK birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back