Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Your most anticipated futures books

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old Monday 13th January 2020, 20:51   #351
Melanie

An interesting book for the admirers of prehistoric big cats. Scheduled for June 2020

On the Prowl by John M. Harris (Text) and Mark Hallett (Illustrations)

https://www.nhbs.com/on-the-prowl-book?bkfno=249355

Last edited by Melanie : Tuesday 14th January 2020 at 13:12.
Old Tuesday 14th January 2020, 11:21   #352
Melanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
There is an exhibition in Torroella de Montgri from November 2019 to April 2020 titled Tots els ocells i mamífers del món. 30 anys de Lynx Edicions on the 30th anniversary of Lynx Edicions.

There is also a special publication on this exhibition (in Spanish)

https://www.lynxeds.com/product/tots...leg-exposicio/
I've got my copy today. The largest part consists of plates. There is also an English and Spanish translation in the book. They also reveal that there will be one volume of the Illustrated Checklist of the Mammals of the World and that Ilian Velikov will create the primate illustrations in this work.
Old Tuesday 14th January 2020, 13:38   #353
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
I've got my copy today. The largest part consists of plates. There is also an English and Spanish translation in the book. They also reveal that there will be one volume of the Illustrated Checklist of the Mammals of the World and that Ilian Velikov will create the primate illustrations in this work.
Only Lynx could produce a sales catalogue and make people buy it.

Information on the history of the various projects could easily be presented on the website but why would they do that when they can get people to pay for it............

Last edited by andyadcock : Tuesday 14th January 2020 at 13:52.
Old Tuesday 14th January 2020, 14:57   #354
James Jobling

Tots els ocells i mamifers del mon is not a sales catalogue, but an exhibition catalogue and you would expect to pay for it.
Old Tuesday 14th January 2020, 16:12   #355
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jobling View Post
Tots els ocells i mamifers del mon is not a sales catalogue, but an exhibition catalogue and you would expect to pay for it.
Call it what you like, it's a cleverly crafted sales tool........

'The exhibition puts on display for the first time around a hundred of the original plates that illustrate Lynx Edicions’ flagship publications: the Handbook of the Birds of the World, the first work to describe and illustrate every species of bird in the world, and the Handbook of the Mammals of the World, which contains the most up-to-date and accurate information on every mammal species on our planet.

'The exhibition catalogue takes us on a voyage through the history of Lynx Edicions. It tells of how the publishing house was founded on the basis of what seemed to many an insane idea; the creation, for the first time ever, of an encyclopaedia covering every species of bird in the world. It describes the adversities experienced in the early years by the three founders, Ramon Mascort, Josep del Hoyo and Jordi Sargatal, and how they guided the work to a successful conclusion. Other projects also figure here, some of them part of our history and others planned for the future.

The catalogue includes the 75 plates of birds that are exhibited, by notable nature artists such as Hilary Burn, Francesc Jutglar, Ian Willis and Ian Lewington, among others. Also included are 14 plates showing a good selection of the groups that form the Class Mammalia, mostly drawn by the well-known artist Toni Llobet.

Finally, and in chronological order, all Lynx Edicions’ publications are presented, some 200 titles dedicated to the natural world.
Old Wednesday 15th January 2020, 09:00   #356
Melanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Call it what you like, it's a cleverly crafted sales tool........[/b]
It depends whether you are interested to buy the reproductions of the plates which represent the largest part of the book. The product portfolio in this book consists of 26 pages (out of 154).
Old Wednesday 15th January 2020, 17:20   #357
Bubbs

I hope you guys don’t mind me posting a bird book bargain in this thread. OK, it’s not an anticipated future book but I thought some of you would like to know that ‘The Birds Of The Iberian Peninsula’ is available from Postscript Books and priced at £19.99. The original price I gather was around £60. John Cantelo was kind enough to share his review some time ago in this thread.

Last edited by Bubbs : Wednesday 15th January 2020 at 17:22.
Old Wednesday 15th January 2020, 17:26   #358
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbs View Post
I hope you guys don’t mind me posting a bird book bargain in this thread. OK, it’s not an anticipated future book but I thought some of you would like to know that ‘The Birds Of The Iberian Peninsula’ is available from Postscript Books and priced at £19.99. The original price I gather was around £60. John Cantelo was kind enough to share his review some time ago in this thread.
Thanks Bubbs,
always good to get notification of a bargain although I suspect that most of those who wanted this title already have it but please keep posting if you find others.

I post links myself when I find stuff at a good price, especially the pre-publication offers. I managed to pick up Bowerbirds for £36 and did post that link though some people though are steadfastly loyal to a particular seller.

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 15th January 2020 at 17:29.
Old Wednesday 15th January 2020, 18:12   #359
Bubbs

Thanks Andy. The contents of the book mentioned in my post are still (hopefully) relevant. Those late to the Iberian party (like me) will find this great book full of useful information.
Old Monday 27th January 2020, 13:54   #360
andyadcock

Brazil, Kevin Zimmer & Andrew Whittaker is now listed by a couple of book suppliers as available from Oct / Nov 22.

Almost certainly based on these words

'In August 2019 Robert Kirk, senior editor at Princeton University Press, stated this book is due in Late Autumn 2022.'

Last edited by andyadcock : Monday 27th January 2020 at 13:57.
Old Tuesday 28th January 2020, 19:08   #361
CaliSteve

Lynx is about to introduce a new series of books focusing on mammals. A book to the mammals of Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay is due in February with others to China and South Asia to be published later this year.

https://www.lynxeds.com/product-cate...s/coming-soon/

Last edited by CaliSteve : Tuesday 28th January 2020 at 20:02.
Old Tuesday 28th January 2020, 19:27   #362
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Thanks for sharing!

Niels

Recently moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 29th January 2020, 17:42   #363
Fritz73
BF Supporter 2020

Thanks for the info

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 12:28   #364
Mysticete

Right now the book I am most anticipating is the new version of the Peterson Field Guide to North America. It will be the first field guide (that I am aware of), post ABA area change, to incorporate Hawaii. So it will be nice to have everything in one book.
Mammal: 233 Herp: 174
Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 13:36   #365
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticete View Post
Right now the book I am most anticipating is the new version of the Peterson Field Guide to North America. It will be the first field guide (that I am aware of), post ABA area change, to incorporate Hawaii. So it will be nice to have everything in one book.
I personally see little sense in covering such a disjunct and uniquely avian area in a the same volume as the rest of the continent.

It's North American only in a political sense and at 2471 miles from California, it's 2/3 the distance away as the UK!

It's like including the birds of Gibraltar in a UK field guide.
Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 17:18   #366
Stonefaction
Yes!

Quote:
It's like including the birds of Gibraltar in a UK field guide.
So little different to the most often recommended book for British birders - "The Collins Bird Guide" then? Granted it isn't strictly a UK field guide but the coverage of Gibraltar is in there for those who might decide they prefer to have it in one book. I'm unlikely to ever need to refer to most of the species featured in the book having no urge to travel to Europe but for convenience sake it is better to have the coverage and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 17:26   #367
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefaction View Post
So little different to the most often recommended book for British birders - "The Collins Bird Guide" then? Granted it isn't strictly a UK field guide but the coverage of Gibraltar is in there for those who might decide they prefer to have it in one book. I'm unlikely to ever need to refer to most of the species featured in the book having no urge to travel to Europe but for convenience sake it is better to have the coverage and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Completely different, no comparison, Hawaii is nowhere near NA whereas Gibraltar is in Europe, the geographical scope of 'Collins'.

It's worse than a UK guide with Gibraltar in it, it's almost like including the Falklands!
Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 17:47   #368
Stonefaction
Yes!

I knew you'd disagree and you didn't disappoint, Andy.
Hawai'i counts on ABA lists though - so despite the physical distance from the rest of North America it does make sense for North American birders to have it in one book that North American birders will use - especially NA year-listers. Like I said about Collins coverage, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 17:59   #369
andyadcock

Quote:
I knew you'd disagree and you didn't disappoint, Andy.
Hawai'i counts on ABA lists though - so despite the physical distance from the rest of North America it does make sense for North American birders to have it in one book that North American birders will use - especially NA year-listers. Like I said about Collins coverage, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
You knew my opinion from my original post so it was you who disagreed with me, I just reaffirmed.

AFAIK, this will be the only bird guide which includes an overseas territory? I know it's a bona fide state but it's still an overseas territory.

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 5th February 2020 at 18:05.
Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 18:03   #370
gdhunter

Quote:
Hawai'i counts on ABA lists though - so despite the physical distance from the rest of North America it does make sense for North American birders to have it in one book that North American birders will use - especially NA year-listers.
So ABA's rather dubious decision to incorporate Hawaii within its definition of the ABA area is sufficient reason for the Peterson series to follow suit? For a relatively small subset of "NA year-listers" who might include Hawaii in their efforts? Making the guide less useful for those of us not birding Hawaii (superfluous coverage).

Haven't even found a reference to this presumably forthcoming title.
Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 18:22   #371
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhunter View Post
So ABA's rather dubious decision to incorporate Hawaii within its definition of the ABA area is sufficient reason for the Peterson series to follow suit? For a relatively small subset of "NA year-listers" who might include Hawaii in their efforts? Making the guide less useful for those of us not birding Hawaii (superfluous coverage).

Totally agree, Hawaii is patently NOT part of NA, this book would be better titled 'Birds of the ABA region'.
Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 18:38   #372
Stonefaction
Yes!

Quote:
this book would be better titled 'Birds of the ABA region'.
Maybe so. The person who brought it to our collective attention is looking forward to it regardless of what it is called - and regardless what either of us think. I'm unlikely to buy it as I already have a few North American field guides that I will likely never use where they were designed to be used, and you're obviously unlikely to buy it as you think it is a bad idea. The publishers obviously think there's a market for it.
Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 19:13   #373
andyadcock

Quote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peterson-Fi...s=books&sr=1-1

' About this book

For decades, the Peterson Field Guide to Birds of North America has been a popular and trusted guide for birders of all levels, thanks to its famous system of identification and unparalleled illustrations. Now that the American Birding Association has expanded its species Checklist to include Hawaii, the Peterson Guide is the first edition to include the wonderful and exotic species of our fiftieth state. In addition, the text and range maps have been updated, and much of the art has been touched up to reflect current knowledge.'

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 5th February 2020 at 19:16.
Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 20:59   #374
Mysticete

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Totally agree, Hawaii is patently NOT part of NA, this book would be better titled 'Birds of the ABA region'.
Biogeographic studies actually have been consistently linking Hawaii to North America for some time now. That last big attempt to redefine biogeographic provinces recovered Hawaii as within North America. In fact, the only native birds of non NA origins are the monarchs (South Pacific) and the Honeycreepers (North Asian). Every other bird group that has made it to the island (and the sole native mammal) have North American ancestors.
Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 21:05   #375
Mysticete

Quote:

It should be noted that Hawaii was included in the earlier editions. Presumably the creation of the ABA area caused it to be jettisoned in the first place.

Why bother including all of those Asian strays? Most birders are never going to visit Gambell or the Pribiloffs, so clearly a waste of space.

Hell why bother including Alaska at all? Most of that state, including the places with most of the specialities, are more difficult and expensive than most of Hawaii. A trip to Attu nowadays costs more than hitting up Oahu, Hawaii, Kauai, and Maui. And how well you do is ENTIRELY dependent on weather conditions. Wrong direction of wind and zero chance at Asian vagrants. At least I know the Nene and I'iwi are actually going to be present if I target them.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: