Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Domestic Mallard or Mallard x Muscovy hybrid?

Old Friday 5th January 2018, 18:01   #1
Zheljko

Domestic Mallard or Mallard x Muscovy hybrid?

These three ducks are continuing birds at one of our city hotspots. I never saw them this close and always assumed that they are just three domestic mallards. However, in this close-up picture the middle white bird shows unusual bill color and head shape is different than in the right-hand white bird (which is certainly pure domestic mallard). Is it possible that the middle bird is Mallard x Muscovy hybrid?
The wild-colored bird is one of these extra-large domestic mallards, the white birds are somewhat smaller. The trio is always together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tri patke sa Savskog keja by Smiljana Pomorisac.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	650475  
Old Friday 5th January 2018, 18:35   #2
fugl
Forum Member

All look good for “pure” domestic Mallard to me.
Old Saturday 6th January 2018, 00:03   #3
Microtus

That's what I'm thinking too, all Mallards.
Old Saturday 6th January 2018, 04:25   #4
aeshna5

Agree- no Muscovy influence.
Old Saturday 6th January 2018, 18:23   #5
Zheljko

Thank you! It is a relief as I already reported all three birds as domestic mallards in several Big Day-type censuses. They tend to swim farther away from the bank so I never saw them this clear.
Old Thursday 11th January 2018, 20:35   #6
Zheljko

Update: the next time I visited the area I made more pictures of these ducks and the blue-beaked duck has curved uppertail feathers characteristic of male mallard :-)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: