Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

No idea: is it just a sparrow?

Old Saturday 2nd March 2019, 13:14   #1
louisberk

No idea: is it just a sparrow?

This bird is puzzling me. I am sure it is quite common but I can't seem to identify it with my RSPB handbook. About the size of a great tit or sparrow.
Can anyone recommend a better reference book, as well?

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSF3874.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	688478

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSF3966.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	688479
Old Saturday 2nd March 2019, 13:16   #2
PYRTLE

A female chaffinch. The RSPB Handbook should be adequate though you can never have enough books; for many the Collins guide is essential for identification of British and European birds.

Last edited by PYRTLE : Saturday 2nd March 2019 at 13:19.
Old Saturday 2nd March 2019, 13:40   #3
louisberk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
A female chaffinch. The RSPB Handbook should be adequate though you can never have enough books; for many the Collins guide is essential for identification of British and European birds.
Thanks a lot. I figured it was a common bird. Just never photographed one before. I'll have to check out the Collins Guide. Now I look at it, I can see the likeness in the RSPB handbook. Must remember to check both genders carefully in future.

LouisB
Old Sunday 3rd March 2019, 21:43   #4
Zheljko

I think that for beginners female House Sparrow and female Chaffinch may look very much alike but this problem seems not be recognized by your birding mentors - I also had to figure them out on my own. You will soon learn to tell them apart by posture and hue. Photos and videos where both species are together at a birdfeeder will help a lot. Some female Greenfinches may also be quite grey; once a saw a photo where all three females stood next to each other and it was wing markings that told them apart the best.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: