• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

Just a little snipe painting that was started as something to work on at the show a couple of weeks ago and I finally got some time to finish it today.

Mike

Attachments

• snipe-small.jpg
    snipe-small.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 72
Snipe are my favourite birds - and this picture sits very well with why I hold them in such high esteem - superb!

Thanks all, like I said, I've been watching snipe recently and you can never have too many snipe paintings!

Colleen, it's about 10"x8", acrylic on illustration board.

Mike

Thanks all, like I said, I've been watching snipe recently and you can never have too many snipe paintings!

Colleen, it's about 10"x8", acrylic on illustration board.

Mike

I'd amend that to: Never too many snipe paintings or too many snipe! A beautiful bird to see. I flushed 6 of them last week in Wisconsin and that was the last I saw of them! A beautiful paintingm and worthy of its subject.

Nice Elmley trip today, the weather couldn't have been better; Bright, clear sunlight and relatively cool temperatures, perfect early autumn.

The first sighting of note was the common buzzard, once again he was settled a long way off but I couldn't not just do another little thumbnail!

Closer and much easier to see properly were the lapwings and starlings sitting amongst the clods of earth and dead winter grasses. Sometimes very co-operative birds just sit and virtually beg for their portraits to be drawn.

Out on the scrapes the water level is very low and all that was to be seen was a couple of young shelducks and a mallard or two so I didn't stop for long. Instead I headed to one of the huge piles of mud and dry reeds and rushes that have been dredged out of most of the dykes and irrigation channels all over the reserve. These piles of grey-brown, clay filled mud make ideal hunting grounds for wheatears passing through on their way South and the wheatears make lovely subjects to draw, even if they are a bit lively!

Finally as I was leaving the reserve I had to screech to a halt when I spotted a small falcon perched on a cattle feeder, 'There's the merlin again!' I thought, but it wasn't... It was just another kestrel, and who can resist a kestrel? Not me.

My winter target list includes merlins and I managed three sightings today, probably all the same bird. The best one was probably the one that took me by surprise; I had heard some beardies calling and I managed to home in on three of them with the bins as they flew overhead. 'Ooo they're nice' I was thinking when all three suddenly closed their wings and dropped like stones towards a reed bed. I tracked them earthwards and, as I did so, across my field of vision a merlin came hurtling. Obviously she'd seen the same beardies that I had and probably thought much the same thing as me too! She missed as the beardies were too quick into cover but it was a great sighting for me.

Attachments

• buzzagin.jpg
    buzzagin.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 53
  • laportrait.jpg
    laportrait.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 46
  • wheaty1.jpg
    wheaty1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 53
  • wheaty2.jpg
    wheaty2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 48
  • kesagin.jpg
    kesagin.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 50
Just a couple more sketches from last week that got missed out. A couple of egrets were having a bit of a ding-dong in the shallow scrape so they went in the book. But the bird of the day was a juv hobby tearing at its small bird prey by the side of the access track. I couldn't get too close but it was a great thing to watch, circle of life and all that.

Mike

Attachments

• egrets.jpg
    egrets.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 56
  • hobbyeatin.jpg
    hobbyeatin.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 53
You leave it too long,mate! Look at these wheatears - superb. Caught all the frenetic activity in three sublime line-works. Lovely. There're two or three really gorgeous egret flight studies in there too - they show quality draftsmanship, no doubt. Kes ad hobby are expected to be handled deftly by this artist and again we aren't dissapointed - terrific.
What's next, eh?????
Ooo - how strange, my line of hyphens have columnised!!!!

The face-on wheatear is particularly endearing, and I have to draw attention to that last scribbly little hobby sketch -- love this!

hobby - spot on! I didn't even have to read your post to ID it. Wheatear's, drawing them is always a joy, and it's clear they were a joy to see. Just wanted to give a heads up to the egret in flight top right of the spread - superb!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back