• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (2 Viewers)

Just a couple more to go but I've got to nip out for a while so they'll have to wait, don't get too excited!...

Mike

My breath is abaited......despite the weather, looks like you managed to fill your time with usefull sketches including the landscapes which Im sure will materialise in the form of other paintings somewhere down the line....No doubt another week of sketches will be presented soon,if the weather hold out a bit more

Fabulous!! work Mike...so much to choose from, mike you are not the only one fed up of weather,rained nearly every day since the kids have been home from school...think I'll move out with Nick :-O..they seem to be getting better weather out there....mark

Wwwwwwwwwoooooooooooo - Hhhhhhooooooooooooo!!!! - Oh-fecking-yes, sunshine!!! What a set of work - fantabuloso, my friend. These landscapes are screamers (especially from someone who can't do them ;) ) and the life-work is purely and simply exceptional. Tina's a very understanding lass to let you have so much leash on hols, but I suppose she'd have enjoyed the peace ;).
This is a serious collection of work and, following on from your erstwhile peregrine obs puts you firmly in the frame regarding the toppermost life-scribblers. Excellent stuff - really totally excellent.

Last couple.

Swallows, a wren and a green woody which I only managed to catch up with on the last day.

There is a whole lot of gravel and sand extraction going on on the farm, I guess it makes economic sense, but it leaves big holes full of nothing but sand and industrial equipment, at least to begin with. After a couple of years though nature begins to move back in and this year I was delighted to find a colony of sand martins in one of the banks left by the digging. A few youngsters were still in the nest holes, at least, when it was raining they were. I could only view them from a long way off as wandering over the excavated pits is off limits but it was lovely to see them there and obviously breeding, helping to boost numbers and contribute to the recovery of the species.

Anyway, not a great haul but the landscapes are always an inspiration so I'm sure something will come of the week.

The best news though is that on the penultimate and the final nights I saw a barn owl over the fields of the farm. Nature abhors a vacuum they say and, next year, I'll bet the owls, both little and barn, and the kingfishers are back in their rightful place on this magical farm.

Mike

Attachments

• swallow1.jpg
    swallow1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 32
  • swallow2.jpg
    swallow2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 35
  • woody1.jpg
    woody1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 32
  • sand-martins1.jpg
    sand-martins1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 47
  • wrens1.jpg
    wrens1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 33
Thanks guys. I had a brilliant week, even without the usual amount of birds. Did some swimming in the solar 'heated' pool, I think the old man's come out of hiding now. Spent loads of time around the pond, just fishing, snoozing and dreaming. Played badminton and beat my son hollow, played table tennis and my son beat me hollow (the shame!). Saw a spitfire and hurricane fly over a couple of times. BBQs, wine, beer, tea, too much food, good friends, my family of course, and time!

I don't go back to work 'til next week so I should be able to get a bit of painting and sketching in this week too. Bliss!

Mike

Loving the Sand Martins in their nest hole mike......quick sketch, but enough detail as always.....

Had to be quick before the rain soaked the paper too much that the pencil stopped making a mark! They all looked as if they were wearing little ties, like kids on the first day of secondary school!

Mike

Some masterful sketching here, Mike. Like you've stated already, just a few simple lines can capture sooo much. The hares and Kessies are my faves. So much told with so little - superb.

Cheers

wowee....love the plein air landscapes...a nice tutorial for me..
and the last page of the rabbits sends me too...car sketching is all I can do in bad weather....but you are a trouper and so is your field work.

Wwwwwwwwwoooooooooooo - Hhhhhhooooooooooooo!!!! - Oh-fecking-yes, sunshine!!! What a set of work - fantabuloso, my friend. These landscapes are screamers (especially from someone who can't do them ;) ) and the life-work is purely and simply exceptional. Tina's a very understanding lass to let you have so much leash on hols, but I suppose she'd have enjoyed the peace ;).
This is a serious collection of work and, following on from your erstwhile peregrine obs puts you firmly in the frame regarding the toppermost life-scribblers. Excellent stuff - really totally excellent.

Just have to vote my assent on this comment before going on to see what new you've posted. I always love seeing you sketches. There is a tentativeness to them that always strikes me as true. I don't mean that as bad in any way. It's more that I don't see how anyone cannot be a bit tentative as you search to put down the lines that accurately describe what you see all the while knowing it may move at any instance. They always capture that electricity of drawing something that is full alive.

As Tim says the landscapes are also a really pleasant surprise. Simple but powerful.

"...Wwwwwwwwwoooooooooooo - Hhhhhhooooooooooooo!!!! - Oh-fecking-yes, sunshine!!!..."

Captures it better tho Tim...!!! :-O

Gotta agree Mike, great stuff!

"...Wwwwwwwwwoooooooooooo - Hhhhhhooooooooooooo!!!! - Oh-fecking-yes, sunshine!!!..."

Captures it better tho Tim...!!! :-O

Gotta agree Mike, great stuff!

I would never try to equal Tim, in watercolor or in colorful comments!!;) Well maybe I would try but I would know what to expect by way of results...

just admiring the collection and musing on the idea of stumbling on a new colony of Sand Martins: that is a rare happening indeed
Actually -sand martins are having a blast up here this year; breeding confirmed in at least 5 new sites (to add to the 3 they usually occupy).

Mike,

You've created a new duvet for me to wrap myself in, and snore against the dreadful Human World.

It is all so brilliant on many levels!

Sand Martins at the entrance hole being my sketch fave!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back