• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

Cheers each.

There were two more that got missed; Cyberpint for any correct id on the feathers (I already know what they are BTW!) B :)

Mike

Attachments

• feather1.jpg
    feather1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 60
  • feather2.jpg
    feather2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 53
Colour would definitely help with number 1, especially on the leading edge... and a quick feel of the feather would confirm the id pretty quick...

No. 1 is approx 5" from tip to quill tip, No. 2 is approx 6" and there was no sign of little owls on the farm this year... There was however a tatty individual of a new species for the farm that I spotted several brief times during the week, big b*gger 'e was!

Gettin' thursty there Tim?...

Mike

I can't be bothered to id the feathers..i'm quite happy just admiring them...:t:...[ i seem to be 'feather-gazing' at the mo having just looked at Matteo's renderings]...:smoke:

WooHoo! Art-Quiz!

I need lots of Cyber-Pints right now. So am going down the Common Buzzard road. For the wide one. (Tawny Owl could also be a good call...)

Common Kestrel, or Sprawk for the thin one.

Unless you've been out plucking waders?

Then Curlew would be a suggestion.

Second thoughts? I'm Cyber-Drunk already! ;) B :) :cat:

Cyber pint for Phil on the bar please barkeep!

B :)

Spot on with buzzard. The one hanging about was in a right state feather wise.

No.1 seems to be causing more problems than I thought it might. My first thought on seeing it was little owl but when I picked it up and looked closer the colour became obvious and all was revealed!

Mike

Attachments

• scabby-buzzard.jpg
    scabby-buzzard.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 51
Cyber pint for Phil on the bar please barkeep!

Spot on with buzzard. The one hanging about was in a right state feather wise.

No.1 seems to be causing more problems than I thought it might. My first thought on seeing it was little owl but when I picked it up and looked closer the colour became obvious and all was revealed!

Mike

mornin'

that feather looks rather green woodpeckerish to me..

Line 'em up for Mr Keeble!

Green woody it is. The strength in the shafts of woodpecker feathers never ceases to amaze me. I'd been hearing the green woodpecker all week and even caught a glimpse or two of them as they flew by but I didn't catch up with a perched one until the end of the week. No photos, just the sketch.

Mike

Here's a couple from yesterday, it was the best day for weather that we've had all week and the only day I got out and about.

The hobbies have been elusive this year and, according to my sources, haven't bred. So it was good to spot this distant one and get what will possibly be my last sketch of the year.

Only slightly closer were the two kestrels. It was useful though to have them turn up only a couple of minutes after the hobby departed. That way I got an opportunity for sorting out some differences, like the longer tail on the kessies, the higher, more rounded heads and the different head patterns.

I found the little owl in his usual spot in the tree behind the loos. He scratched around a bit before settling down to sleep in the sun. I couldn't resist.

Having spent too much time with the owl I started to walk out to the hides but got distracted by a wheatear hanging around one of the gates. I was quite happily sketching away when a woman came up the track behind me. I explained what I was sketching and she described a bird she'd seen to me. I happily gave her my opinion that her red-faced small bird with yellow flashes on its wings was probably a goldfinch. She then happily carried on through the gate, to scare off the wheatear for me... Thanks for that.

Somehow I didn't fancy sharing a hide with that particular woman so I turned round and had a slow drive back home. On the way I stopped to watch a kestrel perched in the grass 'till she flew off low to the ground. I'd been waiting for that and sketched her as she passed. I think my flight sketching is improving at last!

Mike

Attachments

• last-hobby-of-summer.jpg
    last-hobby-of-summer.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 62
  • two-kessies.jpg
    two-kessies.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 59
  • footchew.jpg
    footchew.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 65
  • snoozowl.jpg
    snoozowl.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 61
  • wheaties.jpg
    wheaties.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 53
More excellent falcons, Mike, but the little Owl is the bee's knees, the dog's bxxxxxcks and the cat's whiskers - brilliant. You've absoloutely nailed it in a typical pose, sir. Your passion for the species shines through - I love it.

Russ

More excellent falcons, Mike, but the little Owl is the bee's knees, the dog's bxxxxxcks and the cat's whiskers - brilliant. You've absoloutely nailed it in a typical pose, sir. Your passion for the species shines through - I love it.

Russ

yep for sure, haven't seen one, but the sketch is one of my all time high points on your sketches...:t:

Wow! Those Cyber Pints are strong!(o)<

Am lucky. Buzzard feathers fall like snow where I am. But that "Yaffle" feather I have never seen. A lucky find! And congrats to Ed for getting that! I hope his head is ok after his Cyber Pint? :D

I am SUCH a big fan of your sketches! This latest batch drove a wedge of Sunshine right through my heart!

Absolute brilliance! Put these on bathroom tiles and I'd happily lie in the bath until I swelled up like a gourd, and died from hypothermia!

Great, great, GREAT! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back