• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk mammals (4 Viewers)

I did see someone trying to put fish down for them today (they were trying to do so without being noticed), I did point out the reasons why this isn't a good idea but they clearly were not interested in this opinion. It was interesting to see a local 'little old lady' telling people that they must not feed them, she added that she hadn't caught anyone doing so yet but when she did she was going to push them in the river! I totally agree that there is no need to feed them as they show very well with no encouragement.

I watched them with my old Dad a while back and there is absolutely no need to feed them, as they come so close anyway. If the photographers had a bit more wildlife sense then they would be able to anticipate where the Otters will be. When I was there some of them lacked basic skills in regards to wildlife. :C

Is this what you mean ?

Sorry: I'm completely hacked off with this continuing 'Spring'.

There won't be much of this, either, if the weather stays like it is at the mo.

Attachments

• Norwich bat.png
    Norwich bat.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 41
otter

An otter came out of the holt around 3pm Saturday and travelled through town and up as far as the weir near the estate between the old A11 and bypass. Caught a few fish along the way. Finally a large roach which was noisily eaten out of sight behind bushes around 430.

Norfolk Bat Survey (www.batsurvey.org)

I wanted to let you about a new collaborative project that is going to run this year, known as the Norfolk Bat Survey.

The idea is to give anyone in Norfolk an opportunity to take advantage of recent advances in technology for automating the capture and analysis of acoustic data for bats. By doing so, you will help us rewrite our understanding of bats in the county. In return for your help, we will let you know what species of bats were recorded.

To achieve this, we have set up a number of Bat Monitoring Centres across the county, from which you can borrow equipment for a few days to take part in the survey. Please note that this survey requires three different points, ideally at least 200-metres apart, to be surveyed on consecutive nights within a 1-km square.

If you are interested in taking part, you need to be quick in expressing interest, and reserving your 1-km square to survey at our online survey map. After selecting a 1-km square/s, you will be given a web link to a site where you can reserve a detector to use from the most convenient Bat Monitoring Centre to you.

Where’s your closest Bat Monitoring Centre?

Gaywood Library
Swaffham Library
Dereham Library
Attleborough Library
Long Stratton Library
Watton Library
Wells Library
Welney (WWT)
Titchwell Marsh (RSPB)
Sculthorpe Moor (Hawk and Owl Trust)
Sheringham Park (National Trust)
Oxburgh Hall (National Trust)
Wheatfen (Ted Ellis reserve)
Thetford (BTO headquarters)
How Hill (Toad Hole Cottage, Broads Authority)

[ Note we plan to set up 5 additional centres close to Norwich, Caister, Wells-next-the-Sea, Hethersett and Aylsham ]

I wanted to let you about a new collaborative project that is going to run this year, known as the Norfolk Bat Survey.

The idea is to give anyone in Norfolk an opportunity to take advantage of recent advances in technology for automating the capture and analysis of acoustic data for bats. By doing so, you will help us rewrite our understanding of bats in the county. In return for your help, we will let you know what species of bats were recorded.

To achieve this, we have set up a number of Bat Monitoring Centres across the county, from which you can borrow equipment for a few days to take part in the survey. Please note that this survey requires three different points, ideally at least 200-metres apart, to be surveyed on consecutive nights within a 1-km square.

If you are interested in taking part, you need to be quick in expressing interest, and reserving your 1-km square to survey at our online survey map. After selecting a 1-km square/s, you will be given a web link to a site where you can reserve a detector to use from the most convenient Bat Monitoring Centre to you.

Where’s your closest Bat Monitoring Centre?

Gaywood Library
Swaffham Library
Dereham Library
Attleborough Library
Long Stratton Library
Watton Library
Wells Library
Welney (WWT)
Titchwell Marsh (RSPB)
Sculthorpe Moor (Hawk and Owl Trust)
Sheringham Park (National Trust)
Oxburgh Hall (National Trust)
Wheatfen (Ted Ellis reserve)
Thetford (BTO headquarters)
How Hill (Toad Hole Cottage, Broads Authority)

[ Note we plan to set up 5 additional centres close to Norwich, Caister, Wells-next-the-Sea, Hethersett and Aylsham ]

All signed up Stuart.

Something for us patchwork challengers to consider? Which will be the most bio diverse square in terms of Bats? I will be joining in down at Wheatfen and surrounds.

Cheers,
Jim.

Otter sex?

Sorry if I'm too lazy to thread through old messages but I thought the otter with the scar on its nose was meant to be a bitch?

Coz this scar nosed otter has balls

Attachments

• otbal (1 of 1) (Medium).jpg
    otbal (1 of 1) (Medium).jpg
    389 KB · Views: 78
  • otbal (2 of 1) (Medium).jpg
    otbal (2 of 1) (Medium).jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 81
  • otbal (3 of 1) (Medium).jpg
    otbal (3 of 1) (Medium).jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 82
Harbour Porpoises

At Winterton today, the best sightings of the day were 1 or 2 Harbour Porpoises swimming relatively close to the shore. One of the harbour porpoises was dwarfed by a bull grey seal which was swimming nearby.

Unfortunately, I also found a dead individual along the shoreline. It was about 3 feet in length so is presumably a calf. A Turnstone appeared to be feasting on the carcus. I took this photo with my mobile phone. Avert your eyes if you are squeamish.

There were also plenty of seals lounging on the beach at Horsey.

Regards

Steve

Attachments

• 2013-04-20 14.11.26.jpg
    2013-04-20 14.11.26.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 86
Common Seals East Norfolk?

Hopefully not a stupid question but I was wondering if there was a good area to look for Common Seals in East Norfolk next week. I know both seals used to occur on Scroby Sands but not sure if they still do or if Common Seal only hauls out there in the summer. I checked out the seals at Winterton a few weeks ago but as far as I could tell they were all Greys, though as most of them were fast asleep I couldn't be sure. Do they mix together?
Any help appreciated.
Tim

After work today I found that my pond had been raided again last night or during the day, with lots of scales and bits of fin left in 4 places round the edge of the pond (I have photos which I may upload at a later date). I can't see how this could possibly be the result of a heron, therefore I feel an otter or mink is responsible. Otter are regularly seen at Costessey Pits (less than half a mile away) and along the river (closer than the pits) so I feel this is by far the more likely culprit, especially as the previous owners of the house said they'd seen otter in the garden. I haven't heard of mink locally, but that doesn't mean that they're not in the area.

There are still a few fish left in the pond so I have borrowed a camera trap once again from a friend so will hopefully find out who's responsible soon!!! I feel a bit sorry for the fish though...

Chris

Weasel & Stoat, Cley

Hello,

A brilliant site this afternoon on the beach road at Cley. A Weasel was running down the side of the road with a kill, at the same time a Stoat was briefly on the opposite verge. The Weasel continued to run down the road as we slowly caught up with it in the car. Pulling level, it stopped and eyeballed us, before jumping into the grass and finding cover. Easily the best views I've had of this mammal, and down to feet with a kill making it even more special.

Kieran

Otter in the garden!

Finally we have photographic proof of otter in the garden! The sparkly bits near the paving slabs are scales from the previous night! With at least a few fish left more images may follow...

Attachments

• PICT5063.JPG
    PICT5063.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 127
Finally we have photographic proof of otter in the garden! The sparkly bits near the paving slabs are scales from the previous night! With at least a few fish left more images may follow...

Wow - nice shot and excellent for your garden!.........although as you said, not so excellent for the fish!

Extraordinary, remarkable, who would have believed it ............. 2 degrees on 2nd May. ;)

Great shot Chris. Your persistence really paid off. :t:

Ron

I should probably point out that I used a camera trap so I haven't actually "seen" otter in my garden yet!!! It didn't return last night that I can tell but with a fair few fish still in the pond, maybe a repeat performance will yet happen...

Continuing on the Otter theme, got this shot early morning in late April on the patch, along the Wensum just a couple of minutes walk from the cottage.

Joseph

Attachments

• IMG_4929.JPG
    IMG_4929.JPG
    448.9 KB · Views: 82
Continuing on the Otter theme, got this shot early morning in late April on the patch, along the Wensum just a couple of minutes walk from the cottage.

Joseph

...and this earlier in the week between Taverham and Costessey :t:

Attachments

• P1030251.jpg
    P1030251.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 69
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back