• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (1 Viewer)

Finally got Hobby over the garden today. 2 Buzzards also about - 1 was definitely one of the usual pair, having a pale tail base, the other I couldn't be sure about but it had a big hole in the secondaries so either a new bird or someone's shot at the second bird of the pair!!!

Chris

Forgot to say there was a Barn Owl hunting over the field out the back of mine last night and then I heard a Tawny Owl several times between 3.50 and 4.10am this morning. Getting nervous that the Sparrowhawks that frequently zip through my garden will get one of the Blue Tit pair that are currently feeding young in our nest box!!!

Flock of 6 Red Kites high N over Taverham at 4.40 - all circling in a loose flock before drifting off N together. This highlight was preceded by 2 Buzzard W and then these or another 2 high to the NW.

Chris the buzzard with missing secondaries is almost certantly a moulting bird , its very rare that a shot bird loses any major wing feathers and even rarer it loses enough to produce a hole on the wing . I was watching a moulting common buzzard that had
4-5 central tail feathers and a similar number of primaries missing on both wings today. What i have seen is a buzzard lose a lump of feathers during territorial fights at this time of year. Again something I witnesses twice today.

May well be due to moult but I just thought it was strange that it was missing so many feathers from one wing only. I don't think it's one of the local pair as I've only seen the bird with the pale tail base over the last few days so guessing the second bird is on the nest. I may be wrong though...

Save Thorpe Woodlands

Had a flyer through my door over the weekend, highlighting the precarious future of Thorpe Woodlands, situated off Plumstead Road. The landowners hope to turn this large plot of woodland into a housing estate.

Broadland District Council is running a public consultation to decide the future of Thorpe Woodlands, which ends on June 10th- so you don't have long should you wish to make your vote count.

The group behind the campaign can be contacted here: http://savethorpewoodlands.blogspot.co.uk/

Direct links to the public consultation and questions that need answering are here:
http://broadlandconsult.limehouse.c...pointId=s1332749965356#section-s1332749965356

I am going to think carefully before composing an email.

Cheers,
Jim.

I had an immature male Marsh Harrier this morning over Costessey pits - a first for me in the local area. It circled over the ski pit before before drifting off NW just after 9am. A Little Egret also flew NW at 9.15.

ChrisBish: I should have texted you - sorry..will do better next time!

Cheers,
Mike

I had an immature male Marsh Harrier this morning over Costessey pits - a first for me in the local area. It circled over the ski pit before before drifting off NW just after 9am. A Little Egret also flew NW at 9.15.

ChrisBish: I should have texted you - sorry..will do better next time!

Cheers,
Mike

No worries Mike, it would've been a bit gripping as I was at work!!! No excuses over the weekend though ;)

Had a female redstart in the garden, on Earlham Road, just after lunch. It didn't hang around. It's only the second, ever, in the Norwich for me with one earlier this year at UEA. Nice surprise!

Good to see there is a thread for Norwich. Today I went to see the peregrines then on the way back I had a walk along hellesdon meadow from the gatehouse back home. Found a great spotted woodpecker nest with at least two chicks looked ready to fledge, then also two kingfishers fishing further up.

Hi

Has anyone ever noted Swifts feeding on moths from under street lamps? Last few evenings I've seen Swifts catching moths from under a street lamp on the Newmarket Road from between 10.10pm and up to 10.30pm. No white rumped ones sadly before anyone asks!

Cheers

Graham Clarke

http://grahamsphoto.blogspot.co.uk/

Reed Warbler in suburban garden

Norwich 30th July

Reed Warbler in suburban garden with Tit flock. Post breeding dispersal & first I've seen here.

Plus Hobby and Little Egret over Unthank Road/Cambridge Street btw 8.30-9.00pm.

Robin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back