• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question for birders. (1 Viewer)

If you wish at times you had a 10x then why would you object to a decent little one that you could carry in a pocket or small case on your belt? I don't see why that would be objectionable. I get very nice views out of my 10x25 and at 8oz. it's almost like it's not there. It folds into a size that would actually fit into a tee shirt pocket although I wouldn't trust that. Seems like a win over just carrying a 7 or 8x full sized bino and naught else. I can see a difference between 8 and 10x and I'd think it would be better than nothing. I think it's a workable idea. Not a perfect idea but one that can work for some people at least and maybe more if they'd give it a try.

Do you think this would be a good idea?

Carry a regular 7 or 8x bino. (32 to 50mm) on a harness and then in a side pouch with a easy to access magnetic clip or something similar hold a 10x25-28mm bino. Both of these would be of very good quality.

This to me seems like a good idea because you have power options you'd lack with just one full size 8x or 10x.

What say you? Any major downsides to this?
Not sure if I really qualify as a birder but can see the need for 7/8x from a hide. Otherwise the wildlife knows where there are intruders and 90% of the time I find it needs higher power to get a satisfactory view, say 12x which I was surprised to find I could keep sufficiently steady.

Do you think this would be a good idea?

Carry a regular 7 or 8x bino. (32 to 50mm) on a harness and then in a side pouch with a easy to access magnetic clip or something similar hold a 10x25-28mm bino. Both of these would be of very good quality.

This to me seems like a good idea because you have power options you'd lack with just one full size 8x or 10x.

What say you? Any major downsides to this?

I carry a 7X and a 10X/12X frequently!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back