• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isabelline Wheatear (ISRAEL) (1 Viewer)

Orvany24

Hi. Spotted this Wheatear today, from a distance.

Is my ID correct?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 3-20-2018 7-16-37 PM.jpg
    3-20-2018 7-16-37 PM.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 276
I agree with Orvany24 and SJC, Isabelline Wheatear, here's one from Cyprus last April, note the contrasting white throat against the ''pink'' buff lower throat and chest, also the muted concolourous grey brown to the uppers.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1260074.jpeg Isabelline.jpeg
    P1260074.jpeg Isabelline.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 186
dark lore, apparent white forehead, pale greater coverts, rather uniform sand-coloured plumage etc all suggest Isabelline

I agree with Orvany24 and SJC, Isabelline Wheatear, here's one from Cyprus last April, note the contrasting white throat against the ''pink'' buff lower throat and chest, also the muted concolourous grey brown to the uppers.

Cheers

Ken, I'd say your bird from Cyprus looks better for Northern - not as pale as I would expect also the dark lores are not contrasting enough. Whereas the OP bird seems fine for Isabelline IMO.

Ken, I'd say your bird from Cyprus looks better for Northern - not as pale as I would expect also the dark lores are not contrasting enough. Whereas the OP bird seems fine for Isabelline IMO.

I'm glad I'm not on my own! Agree that Kens bird looks better for Northern.

Yep, I think it is one (both birds actually). There's one greater covert a bit out of place that allows us to see that the (barely) darker center of the exposed one is not as it should be in Northern Wheatear, lacking contrast. Can't see anything really wrong for one (especially having in mind it's a Spring bird).

Cheers

I agree with Orvany24 and SJC too, Isabelline Wheatear, but apologies, your Cyprus bird doesn't look quite Isabeline to mee. The shape doesn't fit enough - the neck isn't strong enough and the head doesn't look big enough, also there shouldn't be a contrasting white throat and chest against the rest of the bird, Isabeline has uniform pattern and NO contrast, NO white throat...

Attachments

• Isabelline_Wheatear.jpg
    Isabelline_Wheatear.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 137
I agree with Orvany24 and SJC too, Isabelline Wheatear, but apologies, your Cyprus bird doesn't look quite Isabeline to mee. The shape doesn't fit enough - the neck isn't strong enough and the head doesn't look big enough, also there shouldn't be a contrasting white throat and chest against the rest of the bird, Isabeline has uniform pattern and NO contrast, NO white throat...

I'm having considerable difficulty reconciling your image with Isabelline, it looks very much like a 1st year Northern to me.

Cheers

Funny thread this one... Two rather blurred photos of wheatears and then a very good one but still controversy about the ID. This illustrates how difficult this species pair is and that it's possibly the better approach to be more cautious...

To me the bird from Pavel is a Isabelline because of the plain GC and comparatively short PP.

Last edited:
Funny thread this one... Two rather blurred photos of wheatears and then a very good one but still controversy about the ID. This illustrates how difficult this species pair is and that it's possibly the better approach to be more cautious...

To me the bird from Pavel is a Isabelline because of the plain GC and comparatively short PP.

Over the last three years I've seen circa 5 birds (Isabelline Wheatear) on Cyprus, and in the field they are glaringly obvious as such. Apart from appearing to be long legged and erect, they look almost washed out compared to Northern. The concolourous sandy grey uppers, and white chin/throat, forebrow and underparts set it apart from Northern, and to my eye the wash on the chest has a warmer almost pinky buff look to it when seen in good light. When I first saw Orvany's image the cosmetics "screamed" Isabelline to me, although that said, it's probably a species generally best seen in the field....as single frame images can often be left wanting.

Cheers

An interesting point from Beaman and Madge, when Isabelline stands upright as they often do, the tail is always short of the ground whilst in Northern it's almost touching, 'Issy' should also have contrasting, black alula, obscured in the last bird.

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back