• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpha porros? (1 Viewer)

Personally, I don’t have a problem with the focuser on the Habicht. I’m a big fan of the Habicht focus mechanism. The newer ones loosen up a bit with use, and the older ones are very free (quicker than the E2) possibly because they weren’t designed to be water resistant back then? In This part of the world, the Habicht usually came with a 30yr warranty, which is even longer than other Swarovski products.
The other area where the Habicht trounces the ‘e2 Is their performance in very low light. It’s hard to believe they’re the same specification, so much brighter is the little Habicht.

As to the EII, is there a reason you prefer the 10x to the 8x? I've considered the 10x also but don't like the close focus distance and a pretty limited Fov.

Here's something from a good comparison article I found

The good things - what the Nikon does better than the Habicht:

1. Field of view is much wider, 154m vs. 136m. Really a wonderful thing.

2. Flare is much better controlled in the Nikon. A big plus, but with severe trade-offs...

The bad things - what the Habicht does better

1. No way around it - the Nikon images are much darker and much redder than the Habicht´s, and this was my crucial point, I just missed that Habicht sparkle, despite extreme sharpness the Nikon is almost a bit depressing in comparison. Like in the EDG I suspect Nikon is making the images darker than necessary by strong internal baffling, blocking out more light rays not parallel to the axis, crashing the blacks and thereby increasing perceived contrast at the expense of brightness.

2. Contrast and sharpness: The Nikon is - typical for Nikon - brutally sharp, but if we look at finer details and textures, it cannot quite match the Habicht.

3. Build quality. 30 years of warranty for the Habicht. Bulletproof. The Nikon feels nice in the hands, build quality seems very good, but I would not want to drop it. I admit this is pure gut feeling.

The Habicht is about 50% more expensive, which I believe is totally justified - in fact, for a Swarovski product and premium quality it is a steal.

I returned the Nikon with a sigh, simply because I have this Austrian bird of paradise. But if price, flare control and field of view is more important for you than one of the most lovely glowing images in binoculars... the E2 will not disappoint you, and you should buy one while you can.

Face it, if your eyes aren't good enough, you are never going to see what Henry is talking about. I have concluded that, even though Henry said pretty much the same about the HT, I can't see what he sees and I love the view so end of story really.

And, to my eyes, the Habicht was outstandingly sharp, contrasty and brilliant, very HT-like in colour and presentation.

Black Crow - regarding the 10x35 E2...I’m not a huge fan of an exit pupil much below 4mm, but the Nikon 10x35 has really surprised me with their ease of view. An easy handling porro with an even bigger apfov than the 8x30, it’s hard to see a downside, but then I do much viewing with arms braced to some extent.

Thanks, I might get the 10x at some point.

Black Crow, don’t go buying things on my account! If I can give any advice it would be to relax and just enjoy your excellent 8x30 E2 binoculars. For some of us on BF, viewing through Binoculars has become something of a hobby and an interest in itself. It follows that ‘splitting hairs’, obsessiveness and the intentional hunting for various optical flaws can become the meticulous focus of many threads. It’s all good fun, but it can get a bit crazy and distorted sometimes... :-O

Dennis I highly recommend the Celestron Trailseeker 8x42. I think it's one of the best values I've ever found binocular hunting. I look forward to your review.:t:

Can be the Trailseeker very very similar to the Granite 8x42 in quality , price?
----
Now, I have found in Amazon the Trailseeker 8X42 model for ~400 euro and the Trailseeker 10X42 for half price, ~200 euro, is much the difference , does anyone fnow why ?
The Granite 8X42 ~434 euro and the 10X42~471 euro...
Thanks
Paul

Last edited:
I liked the Trailseeker more than the Granite. I had trouble with the Granite eyecups and so blackouts. I didn't see a lot difference in the Granite optically although I didn't have them long enough to make a good judgement. The Trailseekers are great unless you expect them to perform up to the level of a $2000 bin.

I've made the decision to go with the 10x35 EII as my next binocular purchase.

It's practical. I have two wonderful 8x and the Sightron makes three. I'm not satisfied with the optical quality of my current 10x. I'm pretty darn sure I'll like the optics and handling of the 10x EII and the large 366 ft. fov is a winner for me. I live in a dry climate and I know from owning the 8x EII that I'm really satisfied with the optical quality and "brutal sharpness", glare/stray light control, and ease of viewing.

I'll be curious what you think of the 10x35. I haven't seen the E IIs, but years ago when I started itching for a larger bino I thought first of the porros I'd grown up with, and tried the Nikon SE 10x42 (now discontinued) and Habicht 10x40. (Many thanks Eagle Optics, RIP) I was very surprised how neither remotely clicked for me, although they were fun to hold. The famous Habicht felt so stiff and finicky and restrictive I couldn't appreciate the optical qualities others praise in it, and the SE view seemed somehow uninteresting: flat, dim, dull? (it's been awhile) Ever since I've wondered whether I might have found a porro I liked if there were just more models to choose from today, but sadly there are ever fewer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back