• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portugal - Algarve IDs 2 (1 Viewer)

esmondb

The fool that MrT doesn't pity
Waders, ugh, so frustrating for me - these will be easy for some you!

Attachments

• DSCF9810_edit.jpg
    DSCF9810_edit.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF9815_edit.jpg
    DSCF9815_edit.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF9779_edit.jpg
    DSCF9779_edit.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF9774_edit.jpg
    DSCF9774_edit.jpg
    871.2 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF9756_edit.jpg
    DSCF9756_edit.jpg
    865.3 KB · Views: 88
Some others that I wasn't too sure on:
Which lark? Crested?
Short-toed? Is there enough detail in the photo to confirm?
Which wagtail?
Siskin? Certainly not a place I'd expect to see one
Little bittern disappearing into the distance?

Attachments

• DSCF9179_edit.jpg
    DSCF9179_edit.jpg
    865.6 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCF9588_edit_1.jpg
    DSCF9588_edit_1.jpg
    740 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF9861_edit.jpg
    DSCF9861_edit.jpg
    864 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF9149_edit.jpg
    DSCF9149_edit.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 67
  • litbit.jpg
    litbit.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 87
Waders:
1. Sanderling showing the start of breeding plumage - note lack of hind toe.
2. Dunlin
3. Kentish Pover
4. Sanderling
5. Kentish Plover

Others:
1. Crested Lark - bill too long for Thekla's
2. ST Treecreeper (only one recorded in Portugal)
3. Yellow Wagtail; Iberian race iberiae, note white throat.
4. Siskin - there's been a lot this winter
5.Little Bittern

1 sanderling
2 dunlin
3 kentish plover
4 sanderling
5 kentish plovers
6 crested lark
7 short-toed (white outer border to alula is m.o.l. diagnostic)
8 yellow wag
9 siskin female
10 male little bittern

edit: simon beat me to it.

By the way, and not doubting Lou at all, the best "feature" for clinching Short-toed Treecreeper are the calls and song - its a very vocal creature and very different sounding than Eurasian Treecreeper.

I watched this and another bird feeding close to each other at Pinhal golf course - neither made a sound!

I watched this and another bird feeding close to each other at Pinhal golf course - neither made a sound!

It does happen - unobliging of them!

Please don't take this negatively, but if I was in the Algarve for a week I wouldn't bother with golf courses - unless I was stuck there with no vehicle maybe. If you go north just some 20kms ish - say along the road to Barranco do Velho you will hit very large areas of Cork Oak woodland where all the Algravean woodland type birds are easy - and many more of them than on the coast. Subalpine, Dartford and Melodious Warblers, Iberian Chiffies, Nightingales, Rock Bunting, Golden Oriole, Ib Green and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, Short-toed and Bonelli's Eagles (the former easy), Cuckoo and much more - anyway, just a thought ;)

By the way, and not doubting Lou at all, the best "feature" for clinching Short-toed Treecreeper are the calls and song - its a very vocal creature and very different sounding than Eurasian Treecreeper.

of course it is. but is you have a photo the best trait is the all white outer border to alula for STT, but only about half of them show it...(plus if the wingbar is well visible - no step in it).

of course it is. but is you have a photo the best trait is the all white outer border to alula for STT, but only about half of them show it...(plus if the wingbar is well visible - no step in it).

Lou, do you mean only about half the birds have it - or that only half the photos show it? Its not a feature I knew about :t:

many STT don't show it, they have a dipped in white tip of the alula similar to eurasian treecreeper, but some (i don't know the percentage) brachydactyla have these white borders along the "front" edge of alula, sometimes not going way up, sometimes they do, like in this individual, and if it's the case, this is diagnostic for short-toed.

It does happen - unobliging of them!

Please don't take this negatively, but if I was in the Algarve for a week I wouldn't bother with golf courses - unless I was stuck there with no vehicle maybe. If you go north just some 20kms ish - say along the road to Barranco do Velho you will hit very large areas of Cork Oak woodland where all the Algravean woodland type birds are easy - and many more of them than on the coast. Subalpine, Dartford and Melodious Warblers, Iberian Chiffies, Nightingales, Rock Bunting, Golden Oriole, Ib Green and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, Short-toed and Bonelli's Eagles (the former easy), Cuckoo and much more - anyway, just a thought ;)

I'm grateful for all your help Simon. This absolutely wasn't a birding holiday so getting away for more than an hour at any one time was difficult. Pinhal was adjacent to the villa we were staying in and had crested tit, hoopoe and the short-toed treecreeper pair at the the entrance to hole 4 and a vociferous wryneck in the trees between my villa and the course - all seen while waiting for other people to get ready. Crested tit is a bird I've yet to see in the UK.
My only regret is that I didn't message you before I came out as your expert local knowledge would have been invaluable for the short time I had. That said, I saw a lot of great birds and saw some blue sky and sunshine and I'm now determined to go back.

many STT don't show it, they have a dipped in white tip of the alula similar to eurasian treecreeper, but some (i don't know the percentage) brachydactyla have these white borders along the "front" edge of alula, sometimes not going way up, sometimes they do, like in this individual, and if it's the case, this is diagnostic for short-toed.

Many thanks - I suppose it has nothing to do with sex or age?

Damn.....once a year I make a terrible mistake in Portuguese and it has to be on here :-O

If I'd been chatting casually I wouldn't have said that.

22 years here and 13 in Spain...messes with the neurons!

Hehe... you don't want to count the number of times I make mistakes in English here ;) I just stopped worrying, as long as the message passes! :t: As a matter of fact, the number of times I make mistakes in Portuguese (daily) can also be staggering!! o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back