• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler sound - Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Not much experience of Savis, but i can safely say its not Grasshopper warbler as it would be longer and higher pitched, was the recording from a Reed bed ?

I'd go for Savi's, even though it sounds a bit more modulated than usual. There's a particular crescendo opening at 0:08 which sounds very Savi's to me.

Me too - though the recording sounds quite different to my ears than a reel bird (sorry). I'm lucky to have them just down the road.

Me too - though the recording sounds quite different to my ears than a reel bird (sorry). I'm lucky to have them just down the road.

Simon, please be aware that it's common for species with a large habitat span to show some variation in the song. If the example you listened to on xeno-canto was recorded in a different geography than your country, just as this example here from Bulgaria, you may expect differences.

Besides, there's always a `listening context`in the field - background noise that your brain can filter out but your microphone can't, your disposition at the moment etc.

Apart from the Savi's, I can hear a Willow Warbler/Chiffchaff call very faintly near the beginning, Rook or Hooded Crow through the 2nd half (its been decades since I've heard Rook) but I'm not sure at all about the the high pitched tit like calls - anyone?

Simon, please be aware that it's common for species with a large habitat span to show some variation in the song. If the example you listened to on xeno-canto was recorded in a different geography than your country, just as this example here from Bulgaria, you may expect differences.

Besides, there's always a `listening context`in the field - background noise that your brain can filter out but your microphone can't, your disposition at the moment etc.

Very true - and nicely put. Though it still sounds rather rough/coarse to me.

Hi all,
I agree that this seems to be a Savi's Warbler, but would assume that this is 'plastic' song, not yet crystallised into its familiar form. It certainly sounds more hesitant, and there's a slight but audible pulsed effect, similar to how some Grasshopper Warblers on arrival can sound vaguely like singing Lanceolated Warbler.

Hi all,
I agree that this seems to be a Savi's Warbler, but would assume that this is 'plastic' song, not yet crystallised into its familiar form. It certainly sounds more hesitant, and there's a slight but audible pulsed effect, similar to how some Grasshopper Warblers on arrival can sound vaguely like singing Lanceolated Warbler.

That seems very plausible, though I've never noticed that trait in Savi's.

Hi all,

If I'd been able to put my thoughts in written, this is what it would have looked like ;)
Excellent points, including the one with the Lanceolated ! A good explanation, I think, as to why this song sounded a bit strange both for Simon and me.

This recording sounds somewhat similar. Given the date, it's not too surprising that the bird's song hasn't crystallised. https://www.xeno-canto.org/400187

Makes complete sense now.

At first I though the date was very early indeed but just checked, and Portugal has had a bird as early as 29th Feb (!) (Salreu - pretty far north, near Aveiro) and a few through the first week of March. I never expect them till a bit later though - around the 20 something.

As an aside, is the other main song in the recording in UAE a Clamorous Reed Warbler? Sounds nice and a bit different than Great Reed.

Makes complete sense now.

At first I though the date was very early indeed but just checked, and Portugal has had a bird as early as 29th Feb (!) (Salreu - pretty far north, near Aveiro) and a few through the first week of March. I never expect them till a bit later though - around the 20 something

Unless the recordist made a mistake in entering the date, this appears to be a January recording, xeno canto following the confusing (from a European perspective) American tradition of putting the month before the date...

As an aside, is the other main song in the recording in UAE a Clamorous Reed Warbler? Sounds nice and a bit different than Great Reed.

I'm afraid I'm at a loss as to what the more 'piping' calls are, though they seem to be calls and not a song. I can't hear anything resembling Clamorous Reed Warbler song, though. There's some Passer sp. calls and also Eurasian Collared Dove in there.

.Unless the recordist made a mistake in entering the date, this appears to be a January recording, xeno canto following the confusing (from a European perspective) American tradition of putting the month before the date...

Thanks - didn't notice that, so assuming wintering in Dubai that would be a new thing it seems.

.I'm afraid I'm at a loss as to what the more 'piping' calls are, though they seem to be calls and not a song. I can't hear anything resembling Clamorous Reed Warbler song, though. There's some Passer sp. calls and also Eurasian Collared Dove in there.

I can definitely hear the grating rythmical notes of a singing large Acro in there but it was the piping notes you mention that baffled me too - sounds a bit like a Little Ringed Plover, I wondered if those notes were part of the song of the large Acro. Anyway, not too important ;)

Unless the recordist made a mistake in entering the date, this appears to be a January recording, xeno canto following the confusing (from a European perspective) American tradition of putting the month before the date...

Xeno canto is actually using the international ISO standard (and most logical) system YYYY-MM-DD, not the UK/Irish fairly logical DD/MM/YYYY, nor the silly and completely illogical American MM-DD-YYYY system :t:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back