• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (47 Viewers)

Cheers John, oh well lesson learnt and I was only chasing birds that im bound to get later on, GP could be a bit trickier!

I think that the work party had flushed most of the lapwing from the moors so don't worry too much.

Hi Tim yes I do worry about the lapwings ..that was one of the reasons we started the work all those years ago after 2 blank breeding years when no birds appeared in the spring.

What work are they doing today Stu and Gord had mentioned they were going to re-shingle some of the islands..not sure if it was this week though

cheers John

Hi Tim yes I do worry about the lapwings ..that was one of the reasons we started the work all those years ago after 2 blank breeding years when no birds appeared in the spring.

What work are they doing today Stu and Gord had mentioned they were going to re-shingle some of the islands..not sure if it was this week though

cheers John

I'm not sure what work they were doing I could see that they had chopped some more stuff down the the right of the hide but didn't see anything else, they had a fire going as per usual!

Historic tour part 4 - The Broadmeadow after alterationsa

As previously mentioned large scale work ensued throughout 1990, 1991 and early 1992 in this area.( see part 1 #491 page 20 on this thread)

In that time we removed or coppiced some 200 willow and alder trees (in an arc from the outlet sluice to the southern shore of the moors pool) and others drowned as the water level increased.
This achieved an open vista and limited the perching facility for corvids and sparrowhawk, vitally important when trying to entice waders into an area.
The water level over the whole of the Moors pool was increased by building a dam alongside the existing sluice outlet. This was made from sand bags and any item that would hold back the water.
An endless amount of work was carried out in the south west area (later known as the SW marsh) here rank vegetation, trees and scrub were removed to create a wader feeding area (in its first year lapwing chicks were reared here).
The only non-manual work was carried out by a bulldozer that was used to flatten the banks around the Broadmeadow pool and the southern shoreline. This created an open flat area with shallows on the southern shore where previously deep water existed.
The bare flattened areas within the field were sowed with a grass mix. Meanwhile the sterile Broadmeadow pool had 270 sticklebacks introduced into it as well as 10 bales of barley- straw to speed up invertebrate colonization.

Within months of the banks and trees being removed species that had never been recorded before started to appear.
Two pairs of Lapwing and a pair of Redshank bred successfully while Oystercatcher and common tern displayed on the new shingle island on the southern shore.
A growing list of migrants utilized the new habitats. Early in the spring the grassy and bare areas favoured as many as seven wheatear, double figures of yellow wagtails and a whinchat. The targeted wetland species didn’t disappoint and featured Whooper swan, Black Tailed godwit, wood sandpiper, whimbrel .and many commoner waders.
After less than a year a first for the reserve appeared namely a Brent Goose as well as a small flock of white fronted geese and a water pipit stayed for a week or so.
During the first winter wigeon grazed the field, whilst Teal,shoveler dabbled in the shallows, waders namely Lapwing, snipe and curlew probed the muddy damp areas.

The second phase of the alterations in early 1992 saw nineteen tons of shingle ferried across from the mainland creating a large shingle island in the middle of Broadmeadow pool that was formerly a bramble thicket.
To stop the Broad meadow pool from drying up, the old sluice inlet was resurrected allowing in water from the river salwarp.
To improve the grass sward a grazing scheme using cattle was implemented. The Culmination of all these alterations had created an area that could surely now be called a wetland.
The sweat and effort endured by the willing band of volunteers and sheer enthusiasm was just the prelude to a future project beyond our wildest dreams. But that will be described in the next tour.

Pic 1 - before alterations
pic 2 - after alterations
pic 3 - Aerial view of Broadmeadow
pic 4 - view of east broadmeadow area from old east hide looking SW

Attachments

• ACopy of 1.best Br M 1989.jpg
    ACopy of 1.best Br M 1989.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 63
  • B after alterations.jpg
    B after alterations.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Caerial view of Br c1991.jpg
    Caerial view of Br c1991.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 65
  • D Brmeadow c1990 DSCF0709.jpg
    D Brmeadow c1990 DSCF0709.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Went to Upton this morning from about 9:30-12

Started out in the Education reserve trying to get Treecreeper and Goldcrest on the year list to no joy, plenty of the usual plus Green Woodpecker and Great Spotted Woodpecker. 11 Greylags were on the Sailing pool and a Rook flew over the car park so I headed over the flashes.

On the way to the hide I finally managed the Peregrine perched on the left hand mast.Getting in the hide a guy said that earlier there had been a few Golden Plover in the ploughed field but had flown off, probably while I was looking round the eddy! A quick scan revealed a pair of Redshank (first this year) a Cetti's sang along with lots of other birds and a real bright sunshine gave a real feel of spring. An Oystercatcher was in-between the 2nd and 3rd flash. Counts of other birds included 16 Curlew, 47 Teal, 157 Black-headed Gull (several displaying and defending territories), 7 Linnet, 2 Shelduck, 7 Coot and 15+ Snipe.

Walking over to the moors west hide the work party was out in front of the east hide so most birds where in the north corner. 2 Little Grebe and 2 Oystercatchers were the highlights and the Little Egret put in a brief appearance flying towards the sailing pool. Counts of other birds included 36 Coot, 7 Great Crested Grebe, 29 Shoveler, 19 Tufted (males were in pursuit of females definite sign of spring) 21 Pochard, 2 Mute Swan, 4 Teal, 45 Canada Geese (vast majority paired up) 18 Cormorant, 40+ Black Headed Gulls, 15+ Reed Bunting (males starting to get nice and dark now) 2 Cetti's, 1 Buzzard and 4 Lapwing.

All in all 2 year ticks with Redshank and Peregrine takes me to 73. Hopefully will get Golden Plover at the work party this weekend!

Who was it that predicted Redshank again?! haha!

historic tour part 4 continued

More pictures
Pic 1 - view from southern end of broadmeadow pool looking NE showing east side of Broadmeadow
area.
Pic 2 - view of southern shore from old east hide
pic 3 - view of Broadmeadow from concrete hide looking SE
pic 4 - seasonal pool this pool only appeared after heavy rain and only remained wet in winter used
by lapwings to raise young

Attachments

• E1 view from S end of Br m looking N.jpg
    E1 view from S end of Br m looking N.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 72
  • F view from old E hide looking SW.jpg
    F view from old E hide looking SW.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 66
  • G looking from concrete hide SE to Br after banks taken down.jpg
    G looking from concrete hide SE to Br after banks taken down.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 75
  • seasonal pool pre 1993.jpg
    seasonal pool pre 1993.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Hi y'all from the USA.

Nice to hear that the Redshanks are back. I should be back Saturday morning now - so, hopefully, I won't miss any of the weekend action. Seems like Golden Plover are either passing through in a steady stream or they're hanging around!

BTW it's been snowing here and the only birds I've seen are European Starling, Mourning Dove and Common Grackle (all from the Hotel / on the way to the office) - and American Crow on the way back (dismal!).

Nice broadmeadow historical background articles John.

Cheers,

Woodchat

Last edited:
I'm assuming that was your call (of three Avocets on the Flashes) that I just got via text from Brian, Gert.

Last edited:
Early morning sneaky look at the Flashes before work today. Greeted by blood red sky and the usual Canada's flying over. 2 Kingfisher were calling and chasing each other over the sailing pool.

On the Flashes 28 Curlew were present as it got lighter, 2 Shelduck and approx 150 odd Lapwing plus a lot of BHG! 3 Avocets then appeared. A shockingly poor early morning video of a pair can be found here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/4404568930/

Last edited:
Hi y'all from the USA.

Nice to hear that the Redshanks are back. I should be back Saturday morning now - so, hopefully, I won't miss any of the weekend action. Seems like Golden Plover are either passing through in a steady stream or they're hanging around!

BTW it's been snowing here and the only birds I've seen are European Starling, Mourning Dove and Common Grackle (all from the Hotel / on the way to the office) - and American Crow on the way back (dismal!).

Nice broadmeadow historical background articles John.

Cheers,

Woodchat

Whatever they're doing they're starting to become a bogey bird for me!

Have a good trip

Upton Warren Work Parties At The Flashes

on Sunday March 7th
Final work party of the season; programme includes:-

Finish clearing the breeding islands of vegetation and renewing gravel where appropriate
Cutting of the grass on the near shore ahead of the breeding season and arrival of the first spring migrants
Checking the fox proof fencing
Erecting a secondary fox proof fence

9:30 am start. Refreshments provided

All participants (new and old) welcomed – if you ever considered assisting a work party now is the time to join as this is the most important one of the year!!

Last edited:
Plastic fun at the moors 27/02
the red crested pochards were firstly playing hard to get, but soon gave glorious views. and were even observed doing this:
SDC11655.JPG
photos and story on blog now
(its ok to put this on now there gone, right:t:)
MB

Titchwell March 4th

-Today's highlights

Red crested pochard - 3 (2 drakes, 1 female) on grazing marsh before moving to the fresh marsh. Possibly the returning breeding pair from last year

I wonder if they are our birds from Saturday I know there are lots around but the combination of 2M and 1 female who knows? just a thought it would be nice to be linked with Titchwell.

Titchwell March 4th

-Today's highlights

Red crested pochard - 3 (2 drakes, 1 female) on grazing marsh before moving to the fresh marsh. Possibly the returning breeding pair from last year

I wonder if they are our birds from Saturday I know there are lots around but the combination of 2M and 1 female who knows? just a thought it would be nice to be linked with Titchwell.

I saw that and thought the same thing! But there are a lot of birds in the country and so you never know could be though, maybe that's where our avocets come from as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back