• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

''Double-Dipping'' the Dwarf Bittern!...Dec 21st-29th'18 (1 Viewer)

It’s certainly an elusive bugger Nick! Clearly the last film clip taken just before Xmas looks as though it was taken at ground level? and fwiw there were myriads of small fry present below the dam...hopefully enough to last another year, throw in the Grey Heron, 4 Legrets, 2 LRP’s, 2 Green Sands, and 6 BWStilts and you have quite a party! Interestingly there was another Utube clip showing it right out in the open at the muddy edge of the shallows...It must have been a “lucky” bugger who shot that one. Makes me wonder if the “dippers” have outweighed the “tickers” on this one so far?

I think initially it was showy, as lots saw it, but since then at best it’s showings have been sporadic.

All in all a great trip report Ken! Looking at destinations for my 'Big 6 - O' next January and FTV will certainly be in the mix! Much appreciated Mate!

Chris

All in all a great trip report Ken! Looking at destinations for my 'Big 6 - O' next January and FTV will certainly be in the mix! Much appreciated Mate!

Chris

Cheers Chris! The “Big 6-Oh” is now the new middle age. “yer just a snapper whipper”. :t:

Sorry to hear you missed the bittern Ken, and Nick's and Phil's tales are most disconcerting too for someone considering making the trip :eek!:. Anyone on here got any positive tales of how and where they DID see it...to boost morale??

Ken, if you can think of a way of clarifying this bit of your directions, it might be handy, as it's left me a bit puzzled as to whether you go through the no entry signs or not, and whether you go straight on or left ?...

"after perhaps a mile, you will then see a whole bunch of No Entry signs on a sharp left hand bend, carry straight on left at the bend and eventually you will see the dump facility."

cheers, Larry

Larry

it s straightforward. Here's some co-ordinates that can be input onto googlemaps.

Head west on FV20 from FV2 ring road at Porto del Rosario for 1.5 miles, turn left traffic island onto dirt track at 28.491105, -13.910244. This track is perfectly driveable in a car.

Follow the track round to the left and park beside road at 28.480356, -13.899137. Make sure you are parked as far to side as lorries pass.

Then walk straight in a southerly direction for about 550 metres until you come to barranco at 28.475159, -13.901139

At this point you can look down to the left and right. The bird favours the bush on the near side 200 metres to the right, just before stone dam at 28.475639, -13.903792.

Advice is to stand on top trying not to break skyline.

Some seem to easily connect, others like moi cam put hours in..............................

Last edited:
Apologies Larry...just seen your request, I think Nick’s input...will certainly take you to the spot!

I was not aware of any advice regarding where one “stands” for the bird, it surprises me that one can obtain satisfactory views from the Barranca rim, as most of the images appear to have been taken at ground level?

All the best. :t:

Excellent directions, Nick, took us to the spot perfectly. No joy two days ago but we're planning to try again tomorrow and Houbara, Coursers and Barbary Partridge have so far been good compensations.

It probably is not loyal to that spot all the time, but I would say 75% of sightings involve within 20 metres of that bush on the nearside of the barranco, just before the upper stone dam.

www.observation.org pinpoints the location of each sighting - check all Dwarf Bittern sightings by going to 'species' check.

Last sighting I think was 19/2 when it was seen still further up the barranco in the next lot of bushes, but only in low flight and briefly.

It can be a real tricky little thing. It may be better to cross the barranco and scan from the boulder-strewn slope on the other side.

Mind you I tried just about everything over 4 visits totalling at least 12 hours. Recent sightings seem to suggest it favours the near side as you walk down from where you park the car - more in less in line with the access track (as if you just continued to walk straight).

Last edited:
Perhaps not for Larry. We sat looking over the dam for a couple of hours yesterday then my "spotter" said she's seen something dark flash across the pool and disappear under some tamarisk hanging down to the water. Great excitement and as time went by and the skulker stayed hidden the hopes slowly began to rise. Meanwhile,behind the tamarisk screen the amazing morphing bittern had changed its clothes and eventually emerged dressed as a Moorhen! Oh well, that's the joy of birding and the sight of a family group of Hoopoes was lovely.

Perhaps not for Larry. We sat looking over the dam for a couple of hours yesterday then my "spotter" said she's seen something dark flash across the pool and disappear under some tamarisk hanging down to the water. Great excitement and as time went by and the skulker stayed hidden the hopes slowly began to rise. Meanwhile,behind the tamarisk screen the amazing morphing bittern had changed its clothes and eventually emerged dressed as a Moorhen! Oh well, that's the joy of birding and the sight of a family group of Hoopoes was lovely.

...sorry it's not showed for you yet Dragnil, but for me, I'm glad I decided to go for Balearic Warbler instead, as it was in the bag on day one, and I could have a more relaxed time with the 8 non-birders I was with for the rest of the holiday!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back