• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The dreaded error 99 (1 Viewer)

Hi Martin

Could be the lens or mount contacts dirty, can try cleaning them up with a white pencil eraser? Also try taking out the battery and the date/time one too along with the memory card and reinsert a fully charged battery after 20 minutes

Might also be the shutter, they have a problem with dirt getting the contacts and can go at any time, mine has notched up 69k clicks with no problem, but have heard of them packing up in the sub 10k area. As its no doubt out of warranty it has been known for a good squirt of electrical contact cleaner around the shutter button to sort it out, but that's for you to decide if you think it could be the shutter

Mine conked out last Monday and is off being repaired now so know how you feel, if you do need to send it off use Canon at Elstree. Fixed fee of £153 which includes fixing the fault, service and sensor clean, some other authorised Canon repairers charge a lot more

Hope its soon sorted out, luckily i had a back up, but still very annoying especially at this time of year

Cheers
Rich

Last edited:
Mine came back via UPS on Wednesday, very impressive considering it was only sent on the 18th and we had the long Christmas weekend and bad weather delays

All fine again now, needed a new DC-DC PCB assembly and all the odd bits I could see in the viewfinder have gone, can't really say if the sensor has been cleaned, because it was good anyway.

Daresay its swing and roundabouts with the fixed fee, but at least you know how much with no nasty surprises in store (unlike some other repair centres I have heard mentioned)

Hope its back with you all sorted soon Martin and the service is at least equal to my experience.

Cheers
Rich

That's not good, apparently turning off sensor cleaning and then switching it back on can cure this, but not great it came back like that.

Good luck getting it sorted, sure it will be very soon and make sure they pay for all the postage

Camera was returned, all working nicely. Now
Credit where credit's due. Very good service at Canon centre in Elstree. All done at no cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back