• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ceramic Bird House (1 Viewer)

Hi All,

I am a potter (work with ceramics), and I thought I would try and build a bird house out of clay.

I have a wooden bird house in the yard and had swallows in them, but in recent years I feel that the sparrows have kicked them out.

The question(s) I am hoping you can help me with pertains to the size of the hole. If I wanted to try and attract the swallows and deter the sparrows is there a hole size I should consider?

I live in Calgary, Alberta Canada. Attached is a photo I took of the birds I am wanting to attract (living in my wooden house)

Also, I note that the swallows typically cling to the side of the house. If it is made of ceramic that will be difficult for a bird to cling too, as their claws will not be able to penetrate the clay body. I could texture the area around the hole, or I could put a peg that goes through the wall so it sticks out on both sides (bird can use it to get in and out). Do swallows like bird pegs (stands)?

Thanks for any opinions. I appreciate it.

~Mal

Attachments

• IMG_6035 (12.jpg
    IMG_6035 (12.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 11696375_10153134742262669_5163872250110136029_o.jpg
    11696375_10153134742262669_5163872250110136029_o.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back