• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2009 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Stifling heat and family obligations have kept me out of the field for too long, but . . .
280. Wood Stork
281. Bald Eagle

Tuesday, July 07

Matchedash Bay Provincial Wildlife Area - great spot! Would highly recommend it if you're visiting Southern Ont., outside of migration season. Good variety of breeders.

265. Golden-winged Warbler

Very happifying! :bounce:

Peter C.

Drove to southern Indiana this morning to a state park which is the only breeding site for Mississippi Kite in the state. I saw my target, so my Year List is up to 315.

315. Mississippi Kite

In addition to the kite, I added Summer Tanager to my Indiana year list, which is now at 215.

Dave

Sunday, July 12

Took another trip into the "Deep South" of Canada - Spooky Hollow, on the shore of Lake Eire.

266. Acadian Flycather
267. Winter Wren

Peter C.

Last evening (July 14) I went out and added two more birds, Least Sandpiper and Bank Swallow, to my Indiana year list, which is now up to 217. (I had seen both species in Texas in May).

Dave

Horseshoe Lake south of Saint Joseph, Missouri. There is an "off and on" wetland here.

I'm guessing that's an area that's seasonally flooded? Have never heard that expression before. Very nice. Straight to the point.

Some of the year lists on this thread are making me very jealous ;)

Added a lifer to mine a couple of weeks ago. Stone Curlew. Very rare where I live. Lucky to see it. Have no idea how many I've seen so far this year though. Must tot it up.

Larry Lade said:
On the 4th of July I was able to add a new Missouri Year Bird.

243. Common Moorhen, at Horseshoe Lake south of Saint Joseph, Missouri. There is an "off and on" wetland here. The last time I saw a COMO here was May,18,1993. So it was a pretty special bird for me.

I'm guessing that's an area that's seasonally flooded? Have never heard that expression before. Very nice. Straight to the point.

Some of the year lists on this thread are making me very jealous ;)

Added a lifer to mine a couple of weeks ago. Stone Curlew. Very rare where I live. Lucky to see it. Have no idea how many I've seen so far this year though. Must tot it up.

Brosnabirder, Horseshoe Lake is somewhat seasonal depending on how much precipitation we receive. However, (some history of the area) the people who lived near the lake presumably owned the land on which this "oxbow lake" is situated. They decided to cut a channel from the lake into a nearby creek which then emptied water into the Missouri River. Therefore, the lake drained and became a dry shallow lake bed. Weeds grew and wetland birds abandoned the area. Before the lake was drained this was an exceptional birding venue! Sixteen years (1993) ago we had very amble rainfall and the area hosted a plethora of birdlife. At that time it was inundated with literally hundreds of herons, egrets, and other water loving birds. These birds used the area as a rookery and heronry. I visited this place several times throughout the nesting season. One day I took species counts for some of the species: Great Blue Herons (many), Great Egrets (267), Snowy Egrets (50), Little Blue Herons (65), Cattle Egrets (1500), Black Crowned Night-Herons (5) and Yellow-crowned Night-Herons (2). In additional to these I also saw Mallards, Wood Ducks, American Coots, Common Moorhens, White-faced Ibis, Common Grackles, Great-tailed Grackles (50) and Red-winged Blackbirds. This summary does not include all the species, but gives you some idea of just how productive this area was.

This year the property went to new ownership. The channel diverting the water from the lake has been closed off and once again the area is developing into a bird refuge.

Today I added two new year birds to my list.

244. Common Tern (seen at the above area), and
245. Solitary Sandpiper, seen at nearby Lake Contrary.

Took another trip into the "Deep South" of Canada - Spooky Hollow, on the shore of Lake Eire.

266. Acadian Flycather
267. Winter Wren

Peter C.
What a great name for a wildlife site!

Jeff

That's because it's one isolated ravine, full of old-growth trees, surrounded by intensive agriculture on all sides - and hence, when you get into it, it seems very dark and ... you know.
(Which is just what Acadian Flycatchers prefer, as it turns out.)

P.C.

Galveston, Bolivar & Anahuac

On Satruday checked out this area that was devastated last September by Hurricane Ike. Galveston is bouncing back. The Audubon beach on Bolivar was disappointing, while Rollover Pass and other sites along the peninsula now look like war zones. Anahuac was depressing and largely devoid of birds and animals; however, I did see recent coyote scat, so maybe things are improving.

My new year birds:
251. Wilson's Plover
252. Long-billed Curlew
253. Semipalmated Sandpiper
254. Western Sandpiper
255. Black Tern
256. Sandwich Tern.

Jeff

So, Dave, did you have to go "spelunking" to get the Oilbird?

Larry,
The easiest viewing of any Oilbirds are at the Dunstan Cave at Asa Wright. We just stood at the cave entrance (for minimum disturbance to the birds) and "peeked in" using a flashlight. They also had a pair of Chestnut-collared Swift nesting at the cave entrance.

And a trip to Nariva Swamp yesterday added some great birds!
260 Blue-and-Yellow Macaw
261 Jabiru
262 Red-bellied Macaw
263 Lesson’s Seedeater
264 Northern Crested Caracara
265 Plain-breasted Ground-Dove

The two Jabirus were found the previous Saturday and were still there yesterday - just the 5th record for this bird in T&T.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back