• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Barn Swallow (1 Viewer)

We finally moved to the farm we bought last year (it had zero birds all summer long) I think boy next door shot birds for practice. So now I'm here and birds GALORE, so anyway I have a big barn and I left top door open for Barn Swallows but none have came as of yet. FINALLY!!!! I come home and I have a nest on my window frame. I am so thrillled!!!!! There were two swallows one would sit on the nest and the other would sit in nearby tree, they were alone, I kept looking and hoping for more. Yesterday I came home to a smashed egg on the sidewalk, the nest still in place and as I kept walking I see my sweet little swallow dead on the ground still intact, I see the other swallow standing on the ground about 20 ft from me just watching me, so I scoop up dead swallow gently and it has no signs of injury I have no clue what happened. I removed the bird and later came back outside to see the other swallow flapping and calling in front of nest, this went on for about a hour, I am heartbroken.:-C What could have happened?

anne

Any cats in the neighborhood and are they able to get to the nest? Most any other animals will eat the bird or eggs but a lot of times a cat will just kill it. Barn swallows come to my pond every day and I love to watch them glide in for drinks. Such a graceful bird.

I haven't seen any cats around, I'm going to leave the nest up for a couple of weeks in hope of any Barn Swallows looking for a ready made nest. My husband thinks it should come down because of what happened, maybe he is right I couldn't stand losing another one.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back