• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owls, rabbits and foxes. (1 Viewer)

Jaime74

I live in a farm in Albacete (South eastern Spain) in a house n the middle of nowhere, surrounded by vineyards and wheat fields.

There are many red partridges and there use to be some rabbits and foxes. I always tried to improve the rabbit population, although I knew that wouldn´t be good for my wheat. But it just didn´t work, no matter what I tried (I even reforested land to provide them hiding places)

But one day, about a year and half ago, I started seeing a very large owl, almost every night on my way home. And then it became harder to see those foxes, that were so easy to see months before.

Now, I don´t see any fox at all, but I have plenty of rabbits. It seems to me that the large owl has killed or thrown away the foxes, out of his hunting area, and now the rabbits, without the pressure of the foxes are increasing their population.

It is amazing what an owl can do.

Quite possible! Eagle Owls (español: Búho real) are well-known for killing competing predators to increase their prey availability. They are well able to take Foxes.

One other explanation though: maybe your local Rabbit population has developed resistance to rabbit haemorrhagic disease, which has been widespread in Spain in recent years and kept Rabbit numbers low.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back