• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red partridge, a femme fatale? (1 Viewer)

Jaime74

I love the red partridge (alectoris rufa). There are many here, in Albacete (Spain) well not as many as there used to be, mainly because of the chemicals that WE, the people that work the land, use, I am very sorry for that.

This bird is beautiful, its colours, its shape, the way it flies...it is one of the best for me.

But it is also interesting for its acting capabilities, simulating an injury when it feels that its babies are in danger, to attract the danger to herself,....and then, when the little ones are away and safe, takes off. It is unbelievable.

And the other interesting behaviour is during its mating period. Here, some hunters use a male that sings, and attaracts the female. Then the 'husband' comes to defend the 'marriage' and gets shot. It is forbidden to use females to attract males.

It is an interesting bird, this little red.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back