• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Space X starlink (1 Viewer)

Mark S

Love Nature
Taking the dogs for a walk with Mrs S, I said listen to the Gease flying overhead see if we can spot them, but something else caught my eye a long line of 60 satellites going west to east called Space X starlink. Does anyone else think they might have an efect on birds that migrate using stars to navigate. Just a thought.

I know that astronomers are already voicing concerns thet they will somehow distort what is seen of our universe through telescopes and there are set to be a lot more of them I think.

I know that astronomers are already voicing concerns thet they will somehow distort what is seen of our universe through telescopes and there are set to be a lot more of them I think.
Definitely - they say it's already very difficult to take decent long exposure shots at a number of wavelengths now without the pics being buggered up by satellite transmissions :C

I must admit that I do occasionally wonder if it really matters what we can see of the distant universe, and consequently whether there is any advantage to be gained by those of us that don't operate radio telescopes and pick the best shots for this year's observatory t-shirt from the research. I exclude all technology development from this consideration: pretty much all of it is multi-use and other applications would have come up with it anyway.

Looking out for stuff close to I do get, but I doubt it requires the same investment and exclusion of other machines from near space.

John

I must admit that I do occasionally wonder if it really matters what we can see of the distant universe, and consequently whether there is any advantage to be gained by those of us that don't operate radio telescopes and pick the best shots for this year's observatory t-shirt from the research. I exclude all technology development from this consideration: pretty much all of it is multi-use and other applications would have come up with it anyway.

Looking out for stuff close to I do get, but I doubt it requires the same investment and exclusion of other machines from near space.

John

I suppose it matters in terms of human survival, when our sun dies in c5 billion years, we have to be able to escape this planet or die with it.

I do think however that we will have done a very good job of extincting ourselves and probably everything else as well, long before this happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back