• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starling Roosts (1 Viewer)

Please could anyone advise me where I may go to see a very large roost of starlings. I saw a spectacular piece of film from Bill oddie's last T.V series where hundreds of thousands gathered to roost amongst reed beds. Any ideas where this might be? I know there is a much smaller one off the old Brighton Pier.

Hi Andrew
I believe the programme was filmed at Westhay on the Somerset levels or in Gloucestershire near the Severn River,both of which have huge roosts.
I have seen the Westhay roost and it is a spectacular event performed nightly during the winter months.

Stranger said:
Hi Andrew
I believe the programme was filmed at Westhay on the Somerset levels or in Gloucestershire near the Severn River,both of which have huge roosts.
I have seen the Westhay roost and it is a spectacular event performed nightly during the winter months.

Hello stranger
Thanks for the info, most helpful. I shall make a point of going this winter to see for myself as the film was quite amazing. I had a suspicion that it may have been Slimbridge area.

Aqualate Reservoir near Newport Shropshire, has good Starling roosts during December especially, i witnessed this event several times and watched several Sparrowhawks taking Starlings as they wheeled into the reedbed at speed. peregrine, merlin & hen harrier were also seen. A great plcae for winter birding but you need to know access points. There is a single hide where proceedings can be watched from.

Britghton pier, if it's still there. Wait a while yet though. late Nov to Feb are the best times. There wont be many immigrant Starlings here to boost numbers yet, and the colder the weather the better.

Thanks for that, I do intend on going to Brighton later in the year, just trying to get as much info as possible so I can plan my days out.

Don't know about the film, but there is a Starling roost at Slimbridge and it is a fantastic sight, well worth a trip there, even without all the wildfowl

Hello Wolfbirder,

Thanks for your reply, sounds an interesting place to go. Think I'll have to book into a B&B what with yours and Strangers reply.

I saw on the telly last night, as the Labour conference coverage was gearing up, that the cameraman had been filming the starlings on the pier at sunset as a bit of an arty shot. The frame was filled with them, so there's lots coming in to roost already. Looked like at least 10,000, from the brief narrow view.

Handy!

You can see large flocks of starlings in Thurso town centre but only for a limited time.
This is because town centre residents have complained to the council about bird droppings. The Council's response is to chop down all trees in the town which include many 40 yr+ trees.

Madness, totally...

Reay_Bonxie said:
You can see large flocks of starlings in Thurso town centre but only for a limited time.
This is because town centre residents have complained to the council about bird droppings. The Council's response is to chop down all trees in the town which include many 40 yr+ trees.

Madness, totally...

They did exactly the same in Hereford, motto seems to be "if a bird lands in a tree, and poops on a car, chop the tree down" won't be many trees left soon!

Back to original question, the roost at Westhay is the biggest I know of - much, much bigger than Slimbridge etc well over a million birds throughout the winter. check the Somerset Ornithological Society website (click on messageboard) for latest location.

Nick

Nick-on said:
Back to original question, the roost at Westhay is the biggest I know of - much, much bigger than Slimbridge etc well over a million birds throughout the winter. check the Somerset Ornithological Society website (click on messageboard) for latest location.

Nice website. I couldn't find the messageboard or any reference to starling roosts.

http://www.somersetbirds.uko2.co.uk/index.htm

thanks

I highly recommend the Slimbridge roost - always the chance of a bonus Peregrine or Sparrowhawk picking up supper too.

I always stay late and make it an integral part of my annual pilgrimage to Slimbridge to top up my year list with geese.

If anyone is venturing down to East Devon in a few months time, an evening visit to either Colyford Common or Seaton Marshes is a good idea to watch roosting starlings. Not so many last winter, but the previous year there were thousands of birds piling into the reed beds at dusk. Really wonderful to watch, especially when the peregrines and sparrowhawks got in on the act!
James

For those interested, next Tuesday's "how to watch wildlife" on BBC2 7.30 is a repeat of one of the starling roost films, there was one with Bill Oddie and another with Simon King but i cant remember which one is on next weeks programme. I actually found this website when searching myself for where the film was shot. On that thread I remember the inference that it was shot at Oldbury on Severn, on the edge of Slimbridge. I cannot wait to go and see it, i was totally blown away by the film (and if it's the Oddie version a beautiful trance tune is also playing to make it one of the best clips i have ever seen) so to see it 'in real life' must be fantastic - good luck and fingers crossed for a good show

Temple Meads station Bristol used told a few thousand in winter.

We have one on my patch in Dubai too, last year it peaked around 15. That's 15 not fifteen thousand ;)

Dave Mitten said:
With regard to Westhay - where abouts there??

Westhay is on the Somerset levels west of Glastonbury.
If you are travelling by car take exit 23 (Puriton) on M5. Head for Glastonbury
on the A39 and join the B3151.Drive through Westhay village and on the right you will find a turning signposted for Godney(by a cottage that looks like a toll house) the reserve is a mile or so down this road on your left.
Whilst you are in the area take a look at Shapwick and Ham Wall for the chance of Otters and a variety of Wildfowl.

Nick-on said:
They did exactly the same in Hereford, motto seems to be "if a bird lands in a tree, and poops on a car, chop the tree down" won't be many trees left soon!

Nick
Thanks for that, most helpful, and thanks to everyone else for their comments.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back