• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friday 13th near disaster, need a new tripod (1 Viewer)

Duke Leto

Without habitat, there is no wildlife. It's that s
It was a slow mo moment, just finished shooting long tailed tits from the back door at lunch time and after a little while moved the tripod with lens and body attached out of the way so I could close the door.

As I turned back in to the kitchen I watched one leg of my Giottos tripod start to collapse as if the lock wasn't tight and before I could move my D300, Sigma 500 and gimbal were all heading towards the kitchen floor and it hit the tiles with a horrible crunch.
How the leg lock loosened itself I'll never know, luckily as far as I can tell the only damage was to 2 screws that fix the mounting plate to the lens and I had 2 spares, a few test shots made and it all seems in order.

Any how lost faith in the tripod so looking for a replacement, if I have read the previous threads a Gitzo would be a prime choice but which one? the range is extensive in both variations and price, I would like the gimbal head mounted without a centre column if poss but I would stil need on occasions to mount my manfrotto head when I'm not using the big lens.

Suggestions and guidance readily accepted as well as alternatives not yet considered.
Thanks

I'm thinking about a Feisol large tournament class tripod. I think RoyC has one and was very pleased with it when I last heard. Gitzos are of course well established with a strong following.

Sorry to hear of your mishap Steve. Glad it wasn't any worse. I can recommend the Gitzo GT3541LS, good, solid and sturdy. I use mine with a full Wimberley and find it does the business. :t:

I am pleased with my Fiesol 3341 but you would probably want the next model up. Not sure of the number. Good bang for the $

Gitzo 3-series tripods are excellent, though expensive. Three section models are a bit lighter/sturdier at the expense of increased folded length, four section models are more convenient for traveling. If you are going to use a 500mm lens with a Gimbal head, a Gitzo 3-series is probably the best bet for you. Feisol's CT-3371/CT-3372 tripods also good choices at a lower price point.

Ironically I just heard from a friend who has bought the Gitzo 3541LS, but looking at the Feisol range the 3372 or 3342 look good value for money and the write ups would indicate that they are worth considering, has any one got experience with those two?

Ironically I just heard from a friend who has bought the Gitzo 3541LS, but looking at the Feisol range the 3372 or 3342 look good value for money and the write ups would indicate that they are worth considering, has any one got experience with those two?
I have the Feisol 3372 Steve - superb piece of kit. I was previously using a Manfrotto 055 ProB which is heavier than the Feisol but the the 3372 is far more solid and a lot easier to carry around and set-up.
Never had a Gitzo myself but know of a few people that has had Gitos's and now changed to Feisol and reckon the it is equally as good if not better.
Apparently some of the earlier Feisol model had a few problems but the latest models are rated very highly.
Also very good service and delivery from John at Feisol UK.

The new Feisol CT-3372 appears to be an excellent tripod, I was almost about to order it. But then I was able to get a Gitzo GT3531LSV for less than the going price of a Feisol CT-3372 (at least in the USA) so it was a no brainer for me to get the Gitzo. (I needed to change the top plate to mount a ball head on it but that costs only $30.) Feisol 3342 is a very light and compact tripod and may be perfect for lighter lenses like 400mm f/5.6L or 100-400L, but I wouldn't use it with a 500mm lens...

Last edited:
Update and recognition for the power of Birdforum and Daymen (importers of Giottos tripods)
After reading my post those nice people at Daymen have sent me a mail asking if I could send the tripod back so they can check it out and will be sending me a replacement to use for the duration. I never asked them. So credit where credits due, we obviously have a supplier that a, visits BF and b, offers excellent customer service.

Well done BF and well done Daymen.

Update and recognition for the power of Birdforum and Daymen (importers of Giottos tripods)
After reading my post those nice people at Daymen have sent me a mail asking if I could send the tripod back so they can check it out and will be sending me a replacement to use for the duration. I never asked them. So credit where credits due, we obviously have a supplier that a, visits BF and b, offers excellent customer service.

Well done BF and well done Daymen.
That's very good of Daymen, last year I had problems with a Benbo Trekker (the screw thread in the knobs that clamp the legs came apart) I contacted Pattersons about 15 times and they ignored my emails and never got back to me, eventually I gave up a bought a Redsnapper which runs rings around the Benbo (also got a Gitzo for the big lens, but tend to use the RS more) Shame really as the benbo's are nice tripods but the quality of the knobs needs sorting (cheap plastic moulded round screw thread)
Nice to hear some companies do the right thing
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back