• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skywatcher 80ED + DSLR what do I need ? (1 Viewer)

First image is good.

Yes, the scope is rear heavy in its standard form. I don't what others have done but I've added a new tripod mount to the scope after finding the correct balance point with the camera attached. The scope comes with a rail that has two mounting rings attached to it. I removed the rings and used just the rail as the new tripod mount. I removed the focuser, then drilled two holes into the scopes main metal tube and attached the rail to the scope with the bolts that previously held the rings onto the rail. This gives a very nicely balanced scope.

For live view I think if you switch to Av mode then the view on the screen will be well exposed for composition. Then switch back to manual for taking the photo. I think also if you add dandelion chips to the max dslr scope adapter then the scope will report correct exposure when in manual mode/live view.

Paul.

image in better light, 1.4TC with 65mm of extension tube. i notice 65mm makes no difference to 31mm and there is pronounced failure of IQ top and bottom that I did not notice with 31mm tube.
this is uncropped at about 25m
320th @ 800 ISO

Attachments

• _MG_6781.jpg
    _MG_6781.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 396
That's interesting. I've never had that happen before with extension tubes and I've tried them with in the region of 20 different teleconverters. Never tried the Canon one though. Must be to do with the way the optics are designed for the Canon TC. It must produce a very parallel image where as most teleconverters produce a light cone that gets bigger as move the teleconverter away. A parallel light cone produces a better image but the downside is it can't be magnified with extension tubes.

Paul.

Last edited:
all these are taken with a kenko 2X tc and a 31mm tube, first 2 on a rebalanced tripod, drilled and tapped the dovetail bar so i could shuffle it along the tube and use the overhang to mount the tripod. the rest are from my car window resting on the window, with the exception of the collared dove which was a snap shot handheld.

still struggling with the focus, but enough success to be encouraged, so I would like to thank the forum for suggesting a SW80ED, and especially Paul for all the advice.

some are cropped, and edited. dove and goldfinches SOOC

Attachments

• _MG_6799.jpg
    _MG_6799.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 274
  • _MG_6804.jpg
    _MG_6804.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 307
  • _MG_6827.jpg
    _MG_6827.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 309
  • _MG_6829.jpg
    _MG_6829.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 326
  • _MG_6848.jpg
    _MG_6848.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 265
If you crop to the right hand goldfinch, that would be a great image.

Hand held shots eh !!, putting us all to shame.

Attachments

• _MG_6804_1.jpg
    _MG_6804_1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 344
hi everyone,

been reading this thread. found the lively discussion highly informative. am figuring out which setup will be optimal to my needs. i want to use the refractor both as telescope and telephoto. here's the way i plan to set up my refractor to my dslr:

skywatcher 80ed > t2 t-ring (for nikon) > extension tube with chip focus-confirmation chip (for nikon) > nikon d90 f-mount

any thoughts on the above setup? the t-ring and extension tube with chip can be readily purchased from ebay sellers here in asia. the skywatcher 80ed, i will need to ask some friends to buy in the u.s. i was inclined to use the max dslr to camera adapter that paul c. recommended but i can't find sellers here in asia. if i go that route, i will need to buy it from u.k. which will take some time to arrive (if it arrives...).

several questions:

is the skywatcher 80ed that most of you are discussing is the same as the skywatcher evostar model selling in u.k? or, the skywatcher evostar the same as the skywatcher black diamond model in the skywatcher website? the skywatcher website shows the skywatcher black diamond but not the skywatcher evostar. i wonder whether skywatcher gives different names to the same model in different continents...

a google search on the net for skywatcher vendors shows the skywatcher 80ed only. i understand this model is older than the black diamond (i.e., without the dual-focusing attachment). any comments on the higher model skywatcher equinox?

or does the group have any refractor alternatives to the skywatcher like something from celestron (skywatcher sister company), or orion, or vixen? something cheaper as i gleaned that most of the other equipment that comes with the skywatcher will not be needed for the initial purpose of long telephoto or telecope photography...

this is long already. will be glad to hear from you guys. thanks in advance and regards to the group.

emmanuel
manila, philippines

The UK model goes by the name of Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro for the new black and white version (Black Diamond) and the old gold and white version was the Skywatcher Evostar 80ED Pro. I presume the new letters 'DS' just stand for dual speed.

I would avoid the Equinox, it's a shorter focal length, heavy for the size and there is some CA present due to the shorter focal length.

Celestron made an 80ED version as did Orion and they all carry the 80ED name and have the same glass. The glass combination in the 80ED is pretty much spot on and if you try another brand of scope you will be going into unknown territory as far as CA (chromatic aberrations) are concerned. Have a look around for the Celestron and the Orion as you may find them cheaper.

Paul.

hi, I am new to this too, and have bought the black evostar 80ED, I couldnt source the yellow one.
your setup sounds right. I think the benefit of the MaxDSLR (or similar) is strength over anything else. A t mount should be ok if you dont drop the whole rig.

the function of the tube is to bring forward the minimum focus distance, the longer the tube, the nearer you can focus (probably at the expense of infinite focus)

there is some discussion on this board about the equinox, I was offered one and after reading about it here, I declined it. I think it is 500mm rather than 600mm, perhaps slightly faster, but i think the peripheral IQ was less, and quite a bit more expensive. Anyway, for me (and the astronomy was also a big factor) I opted for the evostar.

there are alternatives discussed on the board. I think the things you need to look out for are the ED glass, the speed (f stop) and the weight or size of the thing.

this leads onto mounting. I have tripod trouble. Head trouble to be more accurate. The rig is heavy and, out of the box, unbalanced. Paul drilled a hole in the telescope tube to rebalance it, I opted for moving the dovetail bar and drilling that. once balanced, my tripod head is ok (its a manfrotto pistol grip rated to take the weight, but doesnt quite) for photography but still hopeless for space. I cannot work out the answer yet. I guess a decent video head for photography and an astro mount for space.

its a brilliant monocular too. amazing image.

good luck

I've only ever used a T-mount on my set and it's been fine so I wouldn't worry if it's all you can get in your country. When I started out I think the MaxDslr was about treble the price it is now which is why I've stuck with my T-mount.

Paul.

Working with successful setups...

hi paul,

thank you for the insights. will likely imitate successful setups, such as yours and others. that way, i can also compare my setup against others' setups if the setup succeeds (or if the setup fails!).

will go for the skywatcher 80ed.

i think the skywatcher 80ed, in black and white, being sold by adorama u.s. is the same as u.k. model skywatcher evostar (black diamond) 80ed ds-pro. will ask a relative in the u.s. to buy the telescope and then ship telescope to manila. so i need to wait a little longer before i can set the telescope up...

note: adorama's specs for the 80ed's focal length is 900mm. i believe the correct focal length is 600mm, thus with a f/ratio of 7.5. maybe just some typo error on adorama's part or maybe adorama is referring to apparent field-of-view (afov) for aps-size dslrs...

thank you for your insight on ca is really welcome. i was considering telescopes with shorter focal lengths before this discussion...

note: my internet search for an alternative telescope led me to the william optics (wo) website (www.williamoptics.com). wo's zenithstar ii 80ed apo caught my eye. however, the zenithstar 80ed apo only has a focal length of 545mm and does not come with any eyepiece. (the skywatcher 80ed comes with 2 eyepieces). wo will also ship free to philippines.

an aside inquiry: will i need an eyepiece to get the skywatcher setup? if yes, then the eyepiece will be additional cost for a zenithstar ii setup. i need to check adapting method for the telescope to my nikon d90. (which will be another cost...)

with all the notes and inquiries, am still incline to do the skywatcher setup.

good day to all. regards.

emmanuel

I found the listing on adorama for the SW80ED and they certainly have it listed wrong. Also on adorama I found the Orion 80ED which is basically the same scope but with the single speed focuser the same as I have on my older SW80ED. The price is just for the scope without any accessories though. http://www.adorama.com/ONED80OT.html

The Williams Optics scope produces more CA than the 80ED because it uses the lower quality FPL-51 glass. The build quality is better and this is generally what you are paying for. With the 80ED the build quality is lower but you get better glass.

You don't need an eyepiece to set a scope up for photography, only if you intend to look through the scope visually.

Paul.

Birding will have to wait a little...

thanks for insights. will definitely go for the skywatcher 80ed. i took a look at the william optics (wo) because the model without the digital display gauge (ddg. what's this for...) is on sale and ships free to the philippines directly from taiwan. with the skywatcher, adorama and other dealers in the u.s. only ships to continental u.s.; others who will ship to philippines will charge usurious shipping rates!

will buy the needed t-rings and extension tubes and will wait for friend in the u.s. to ship to philippines.

am excited to start shooting. as you and the others know, the philippines is one of the important bird areas (iba) of the world according to birds authority birdlife international.

regards to all.

emmanuel

That sort of digital gauge would be for astro photography where you can take an exact focus reading for a star or planet. Then you could dial in the same settings on other nights etc and replicate the same focus. It wouldn't have any use for daytime situations.

Paul.

emmanuel, being from Philippines aren't much different from where I am. We all face the same problem (shipping cost). Just to add in a bit more, I am using the Celestron 80ED which I ordered in from Germany at 360 Euro less 19% VAT plus shipping. Their price had since gone up but European prices normally include VAT which you can ask to be excluded. The Celectron 80ED, Orion 80ED and Skywatcher SW80ED are the same glass and same manufacturer but market under different name in different locations. The Celestron however, comes in 90mm tube compared to 100mm for the other 2 and very slightly lighter. If you can get the one that comes with the finder scope, diagonal and eyepiece (mine all included), you can utilise them for Astronomy viewing.

You can either use the MaxDSLR or this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T-T2-Nikon-ad...adaptors_ET&hash=item230241bd8f#ht_2285wt_901 and this extension tube http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Macro-Extensi...adaptors_ET&hash=item5d258fdc69#ht_2775wt_901 which are much cheaper. This extension tube are very modular and will give you lots of configuration with length, future expansion with telenegative or barlows etc.

Another point to consider. Import duty/sales tax/ VAT? In Malaysia, photographic equipment no tax of any sort but telescope attract a 10% sales tax. Since my scope came with the T-thread for camera and listed in their manual also as an attachment to camera, I manage to get it categorised as photographic equipment o:D

this leads onto mounting. I have tripod trouble. Head trouble to be more accurate. The rig is heavy and, out of the box, unbalanced. Paul drilled a hole in the telescope tube to rebalance it, I opted for moving the dovetail bar and drilling that. once balanced, my tripod head is ok (its a manfrotto pistol grip rated to take the weight, but doesnt quite) for photography but still hopeless for space. I cannot work out the answer yet. I guess a decent video head for photography and an astro mount for space.

its a brilliant monocular too. amazing image.

good luck

The better choice would be the Manfrotto 393 Head or similar. Whatever angle you shoot, high or low, the equilibrium maintain the same. If using video head, when you shoot higher, the back weight increase. Just stay away from Ball Head.

I have decided I would like to get myself a 80ed scope and give astroscoping a try.

Can I have a link from where to buy the scope from and a giude price I will need to pay in the UK please.

Great thread for newbies thinking of going down this route like me.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back