• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm gonna buy some 8X binoculars….. (2 Viewers)

chill6x6

Supporter
Hi ALL!

I'm going to by some 8X binoculars….maybe two. I've not made up my mind as to 32 or 42 mm objective. IMO…at 8X objective size(32 or 42) doesn't seem THAT important. I'm not that caught up on weight….how about 30 ounces or LESS. I wear glasses…..though not all the time(MOST of the time I do)while glassing. Basically I want 8X for more FOV for close glassing and canopy/trees/woods.

I like good optics.. Currently I have Leica Geovid 10x42, Swarovski EL Swarovision 10x42, Swarovski SLC 7x42(what I've BEEN using close/woods/etc), Swarovski SLC 10x42(about 15 years old but GREAT), Zeiss 10x42 Victory HT, and a few other odds and ins…

I'm not PLANNING on breaking the bank with this purchase….looking to spend AROUND 1000 bucks.. I have a few picked out but would REALLY enjoy what you all have to say and your thoughts. One can always drop the cash and get it all….not looking to go all out this time..

What you think???

Hi ALL!

I'm going to by some 8X binoculars….maybe two. I've not made up my mind as to 32 or 42 mm objective. IMO…at 8X objective size(32 or 42) doesn't seem THAT important. I'm not that caught up on weight….how about 30 ounces or LESS. I wear glasses…..though not all the time(MOST of the time I do)while glassing. Basically I want 8X for more FOV for close glassing and canopy/trees/woods.

I like good optics.. Currently I have Leica Geovid 10x42, Swarovski EL Swarovision 10x42, Swarovski SLC 7x42(what I've BEEN using close/woods/etc), Swarovski SLC 10x42(about 15 years old but GREAT), Zeiss 10x42 Victory HT, and a few other odds and ins…

I'm not PLANNING on breaking the bank with this purchase….looking to spend AROUND 1000 bucks.. I have a few picked out but would REALLY enjoy what you all have to say and your thoughts. One can always drop the cash and get it all….not looking to go all out this time..

What you think???

The most reassurance I can give is that when I bought my birding binocular, I could have had anything I wanted; all the so-called alphas were within my reach. I chose to go with the Nikon 8x32 Superior E. I've never looked back . . . except to see the bird that flew over.

Welcome to BirdForum!

Bill

"I like good optics.. Currently I have Leica Geovid 10x42, Swarovski EL Swarovision 10x42, Swarovski SLC 7x42(what I've BEEN using close/woods/etc), Swarovski SLC 10x42(about 15 years old but GREAT), Zeiss 10x42 Victory HT, and a few other odds and ins…"

ND was probably thinking: "Poor baby."

Don't worry, with that kind of bait, it happens frequently. 'Been there; done that. I my previous life, I owned dozens of vintage electric guitars. All gone. Also, several very expensive telescopes. Also, all gone. Did I ever have the talent to own even one of those guitars, or the time to spend with any of those telescopes?

Nope. Greed was its own reward. It took until my late 50's to grow up. I still don't have enough talent. But, I do miss some of my guitars. Thinking was NEVER my strong suit!

I guess it's because I still have a full head of dark brown hair that I want to act immaturely. Oh well, the Grimm Reaper will take care of that. Ya know, when you think about it, old age comes at a very bad time! |8||

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
Chill6X6 ...... Welcome to the Forum!

The first thing that came to mind after reading your post is the Zeiss Conquest HD in either the 8X32 (FOV of 420 ft normally at $900 new or $750 demo) or the 8X42 (FOV of 384 ft normally at $970 new or $750 demo).

I do not own those but have looked at them several times and had a good impression. Reviews have been over all good, but there have been a few complaints on the eye cup length and quality. Zeiss will send you a new longer eye cup if desired. I believe they have the Zeiss lifetime warranty here in the US so Zeiss should send you a new eye cup if one did happen to fail.

Anyway, those would be my starting point in the $1,000 price bracket.

Edit: The ND post (#2) didn't make any sense to me either.

Last edited:
Hi, I am new here too and happen to be drinking coffee and being lazy atm. So...

I would guess that ND is doubting your ability to be happy with lower grade stuff than what you already have. It seems around here that once a guy spends serious time with an alpha that many people have a hard time going back down the quality scale.

I would not know personally. My best bins are all three at the MeoStar ( one with and without HD) and the Conquest HD level. My Conquest is an 8x42. For my eyes and hands it is a nice package. I like the look and feel and I am generally happy with the image. The eyecups don't bother me so I guess it is really my favorite and most used for now.

My opinion is that I think that a 32mm model would best fit your collection. You seem to have a clear preference for 10x and I doubt any $1000 8x42 is going to whip a 7x42 SLC for woods work, so a handier bin might be appreciated.

To give a different option than Bruce, I would suggest you consider the Kowa Genesis 8x33. I have not seen it but I am sure it is worthy of some thought.

Added...Ed beat me while I was distracted. I also wanted to add that while I have been on BirdForum that I have learned that I prefer "cooler and cleaner" color biases than the red/brown enhanced contrast hunting bins. I am a hunter, my Meoptas don't have that old school yellow but they still have heavier contrast than many. It works for deer but for birds I prefer the cooler Conquest ( which is still warmish compared to some). That is another reason they are my favorite right now.

Last edited:
Hi ALL!

What you think???
This is the best 8X under $1K.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=zeissconquesthd8x32

Over $1k.

Swarovision, Leica Ultravid HD Plus, Zeiss HT, Zeiss FL,Zeiss SF

Last edited:
Chill 6x6,

First off welcome to BF

Second, you need to apply Jerryology to ND’s post. ;) The thing you need to understand is that he has the opinion that if it is not Nikon or Swarovski that it is not worth owning. Nothing wrong with that either, there is a lot of support that any cost needed for any improvement is a worthy cost. The other side of the coin is centered on the best performance vs the cost. That has a lot of support too. In essence that coin gets flipped here a LOT. People have their opinions and Jerry has his. Everybody who posts here has their opinion.

What I think what he’s saying is …”Look you have a bunch of good glass. You want to compete there with a measly $1,000? You’ve got to be joking!”

You have also entered another perpetual discussion that goes around here a lot, namely what is the best magnification (or some variation of the topic).

I think your best bets at the $1,000 mark are the Zeiss Conquest HD and the Meopta HD.

Chill:

Sorry to be so chilly to you, but when I saw your post, I chuckled and thought with that
lineup of binoculars, you should be the one offering advice, not the other way around. ;)
I was taken aback, but I should realize that many users have a wide range of optics,
and you have an all-star lineup.

Steve, has opinions like everyone here, and seems to have me figured out.
I do like the Zeiss Conquest HD models, as I have the 10x42 and recommend it in
this medium price range.

As someone mentioned above, you may consider an 8x32 size, to round out your choices,
and one that is smaller and easier to carry.

Welcome to Birdforum, I was out of line.

Jerry

Chill:

Sorry to be so chilly to you, but when I saw your post, I chuckled and thought with that
lineup of binoculars, you should be the one offering advice, not the other way around. ;)
I was taken aback, but I should realize that many users have a wide range of optics,

this medium price range.

As someone mentioned above, you may consider an 8x32 size, to round out your choices,

Jerry

Jerry:

You weren't outta line. He just got tossed in at the deep end--that's all. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. After all, that's what you have us for. :t:

Bill

Chill:

this medium price range.

Jerry

No harm, no foul…or is is fowl?? Everything is good!

So yeah…everyone's advice is right along what I was thinking…

8X32/33 is right along my thoughts….although it DOES bother me a little that the 8X42s are the same price!

From everything I know and have read the Conquest 8X32 is the no-brainer. Best Company, best resale, probably best optics, best reputation, specs either the best or among the best….

The Meopta/Cabelas Meostar 8X32 is another I'm seriously looking at… by all accounts seems to be a fine binocular. I will admit it LOOKS kinda different..

Also considering the the Kowa Genesis 8X33… Probably not a bad choice either..

One that has a little LESS following and seems to be a great binocular is the Kahles 8X33. Not as much to read about it and certainly not one around here to LOOK at…

Maybe I am looking for a dark horse in all this binocular buying/comparing!

The bino which fits best in your hands and at your eyes, thats the one to choose ;)
Agree with Oetzi,the bins that just feel right in the hand when you pick them up and your eyes say "thank you" when you look through them. The right bins just seem to sell themselves, hope I am lucky when I try to upgrade in the next few weeks.

So….
The Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32 is on its way! One reason I went with this binocular, not ONE comment from anyone here or elsewhere even so much as breathed that any other binocular has better optics for the money. The dealer I ordered from stated that the Conquest HD was in a class of it's on for the money.

Thanks for the advice along the way and I'll let you know how it performs!

chill6x6.... I've got Conquest HD 10x42 & 8x32, Swaro CL Pocket 10x25 & 8x25. Of them all, the Conquest HD 8x32 is definitely a sweet spot, indeed. I think you will love them. My only complaint is that the eyecup operation is stiff and cheesy feeling, but then, I leave the eyecups extended all the time, so I don't need to feel how they operate. I love the bins. Just wish Zeiss had given proper engineering to the rotation of the eyecups. If you need to extend and retract the eyecups regularly, you may not like them. If you can leave the eyecups in or out most of the time, you probably will be very happy.

I heard good things about Leupold.
Consider buying a 8x32 Leica Trinovid.
Another firm favourite would be the Nikon HG-L in 8x32. If you shop around carefully, you can fit 2 high-end binoculars in your budget, but maybe you will have to look for a second hand (e.g. the Leica).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back