• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New bin, EL10x50SV (1 Viewer)

After the past 5 days of glassing under various lighting conditions (Daytime=sunny, rainy, cloudy, sunset, sunrise, early dawn, extreme dusk)-(Nighttime=crescent moon, dim street light shadows, starlight, darkness) and comparing the glass I have in my current collection of binos (see pic), my parallel journey with Gijs toward optical heaven appears in my grasp, namely the Swarovski EL 10x50 SV's! :king:

Optically, "Coming Home, "Comfortable View", "Bam, there it Is", "Lighter than it Is", "High AFOV", "CA Nicely controlled", "Big EP, easy on Eyes" were all descriptions by Gijs that I totally agree with. Now, Every viewing session starts with a "WOW" as I'm transported into the FOV as if I were standing there, just 10x closer! Contrast and color are equal to my wonderful SLC 10x42's (which are Superb), however resolution and sharpness are a step up with the 10x50 SV, yielding a brighter clarity that not only shows in shadowy daytime glassing, but especially in the deep dark details of extreme low light viewing. Static glassing just takes my breath away as the 10x50's present an even deeper DOF image presentation that makes me forget I'm looking through binoculars.

My only negative issue with the 10x50 SV's is their rolling ball effect due to the field flattening feature of the oculars. I'm very sensitive to RBE, but have pleasantly discovered the 10x50's horizontal panning, although noticeable, hasn't affected me as others have with dizziness or vertigo. Vertical panning is a little more prominent, but still does not adversely affect my sensitivity to RBE. I've viewed much worse, (Viper HD, Gold Ring HD, 8x32 SV), and optics that to my eyes had none (SLC's, HT's, Ultra Vids+)!

Ergonomically, after 25 hrs of viewing and comparison sessions in all diverse lighting conditions, their balanced weight allows me to hold these steadier than any other full size optics I've ever experienced. My best half also commented these were easier to hold and controlled "10X" shake better than any of our other, lighter 10x42's. The 10x50 eye cups are very comfortable for me and the focus control is very smooth and precise, both to Infinity (clockwise) and near field (counter clock wise). IPD adjustments are real positive and hold tightly from accidental bumping and rough handling. The pop-out focus diopter control is extremely precise and secure, making settings very intuitive, quick and easy. The 10x50's feel solid in my hands as the open bridge and larger barrels seems to offer an easier grip in handling their size and weight.

Due to their Superb optical qualities and handling, I've chose the EL 10x50 SV to be my primary glassing instrument...for a Long Time to come! Overall, I believe Pileatus statement in his Oct 2014 review says it ALL: HERE

At this time, the above are my findings, Your Mileage might vary! Seeing with your own eyes and handling these bad boys will really be the only way to determine if YOU also love their attributes and can tolerate their shortcomings! :t:

Ted
Doesn't the 345 foot FOV feel a little narrow to you? 35 oz. doesn't bother you when you carry them all day?

Good To Go!

Doesn't the 345 foot FOV feel a little narrow to you?

Actually, I've fully adapted to 10X FOV's that were 267ft through 2013 and 326ft since 2014. To me, the Swaro EL 10x50 SV with its "Field Flattening" 345ft seems an Extreme Fully Usable AFOV! My new sight vision (thanks to Cataract Surgery in both eyes) has not only blessed me with 20\13 vision, but my peripheral sight is astonishingly accurate, probably contributing to my new sensitivity to rolling ball binos (nothing's ever perfect for us minorities) :eek!:. Thus, for me it appears I can sense "off-axis from center" the clear sharpness and resolution of the complete FOV offered by the SV! Static views instantly elicit a WOW effect, sometimes even Unconsciously Spoken! |:D|

35 oz. doesn't bother you when you carry them all day?

Not yet, as I haven't performed that activity (all day glassing) to test out their long term "anchor effects". I am use to using 27oz 10x42's for up to 6-7 hrs without ill effects and don't believe the extra 8 oz will be a big issue. However, I've already invested in the Swaro bino harness to hedge off any possible neck\back major trama! ;)

Ted

Okay, just ordered the Swarovski EL SV 10x50. Let's see what all this fuss is about! ;)
You must make a lot of money in Norway. What is shocking about the SV 10x50 is the change of opinion everybody is having. It used to be on Bird Forum most wanted a large FOV(over 400 feet) and a nice compact light weight binocular(under 22 oz.) which usually meant an alpha 8x32. NOW we get this big shift to accepting a 35oz. behemoth and a narrow 345 foot FOV. What is up? Is the Swarovski 10x50 SV that GOOD? Is this the new birding binocular format 10x50?

Last edited:
You must make a lot of money in Norway. What is shocking about the SV 10x50 is the change of opinion everybody is having. It used to be on Bird Forum most wanted a large FOV(over 400 feet) and a nice compact light weight binocular(under 22 oz.) which usually meant an alpha 8x32. NOW we get this big shift to accepting a 35oz. behemoth and a narrow 345 foot FOV. What is up? Is the Swarovski 10x50 SV that GOOD? Is this the new birding binocular format 10x50?

Dennis,

Since when did the "change" (if that is what took place--which is questionable) of the opinions of 4 or 6 people on Bird Forum constitute 'a change of opinion "everybody" is having?'

Is that your idea of a scientific sample?3:)

Bob

To be honest, 115m@1000 is pretty good FOV for a 10x binocular, and 66 degrees AFOV is HUGE! :smoke:

HN

Somebody should invent a "Switch FOV to AFOV" binocular (somewhat in the manner of a switch power binocular) so the viewer can experience the astounding difference of seeing an object inside the FOV and then inside the AFOV!:smoke:

Bob

At this time, the above are my findings, Your Mileage might vary! Seeing with your own eyes and handling these bad boys will really be the only way to determine if YOU also love their attributes and can tolerate their shortcomings! :t:

Ted

Nice photo of your interracial family!

My mileage will probably be the same as yours with the 10x50 SV EL.

Keep rollin', rollin', rollin',
Though the streams are swollen,
Keep them birdies rollin', SWAROOO.
Through rain and wind and weather,
And globe effect bird feathers,
Wishin' my EII was by my side.
All the things I'm missin',
3-D effect and curved lines,
Are waiting at the end of my ride.

Roll 'em out, Roll 'em up,
Roll 'em up, Roll 'em on.
Roll 'em out, Roll 'em up:
SWAROOO!

<B>

Last edited:
To be honest, 115m@1000 is pretty good FOV for a 10x binocular, and 66 degrees AFOV is HUGE! :smoke:

HN
I agree 115m is a wide FOV for a 10x50x. I would like to try the 10x50 SV's again myself outside. I tried them in the store and they were very impressive. There is a lot of advantages to that big aperture know getting around it. What did you have to pay for the SV 10x50 in Norway?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back