• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Experimenting with a PowerShot ELPH 330 HS? (1 Viewer)

CalvinFold

I recently picked-up a Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS as a little point-n-shoot for casual use.

I can't use it for digiscoping (still have my trusty old CoolPix 4500 for that), and that wasn't the goal. But the ELPH does video, and I thought..."hmmmm, can I shoot video of the same subjects through the scope?"

So my questions:

--I do my digiscoping afocally. I have a camera bracket to get the ELPH pointed at the eyepiece...is this viable?

--If anyone has tried this...is just draping a dark cloth over the camera and eyepiece enough to block the light? Or to at least test the idea before I make something like a piece of fitted black pipe?

--Can anyone familiar with the current ELPH lineup give me some idea what settings would work the best? For example, where should I set the zoom? What camera/video settings/modes should I use?

--My current digiscoping setup is here, and I would be taking the Coolpix and Digimount off the eyepiece before attaching a camera bracket and the ELPH.

I know, this sounds goofy, but I figured I have the basic components, might be fun to just try. :)

Last edited:
Well, alot of people read this, but no one responded; figured I'd follow-up:

The short answer is I couldn't even get acceptable photo results, didn't even try video. Dealing with the external zoom and perfect aiming of the camera was too much trouble.

Guess I prefer the "camera more firmly connected to the scope" methods like t-rings or more solid afocal mounts.

On the plus side, away from the scope, the zoom on the 330 HS is really decent and the color is good, histogram is decent once I fiddled with the settings, so it was a great choice for a relatively inexpensive point-and-shoot when not digiscoping.

But despite the image noise and lower resolution inherent to my Coolpix 4500, it's still a better digiscoping camera. ;-p

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back