Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Disturbing a nest

Old Monday 31st December 2018, 22:51   #1
RoastPotato

Disturbing a nest

I bought a house a few months ago and the previous owners had left behind a couple of bird houses around the property. I was hoping to run a small camera into one of the empty ones in the winter in the hopes that when a new bird comes to lay eggs Id be able to show my daughter the birds as the hatch and grow. But Ive heard if you disturb a birds nest they wont come back. Is this possible to do or would they avoid the nest in spring if I did this during the winter?
Old Monday 31st December 2018, 23:08   #2
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

I'm assuming the nest box is empty right now? If not, remove the old nest which should be done anyway after the breeding season and put in your camera. I'm assuming it will be somewhere near the top of the nest box.

Then if a bird starts building a nest in there you should have no problems as long as you or anyone else does not go near the nest box and viewing what you see through the camera from afar.

Hi RP and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: