• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue jays hogging the suet feeder (1 Viewer)

MrBJones

We've always had a few blue jays visiting the back yard, picking up seed on the ground under the feeder (they can't get on the feeder itself). No worries so far. But over the last month or so they've discovered the hanging suet feeder and are on it or its shepherd's hook all the time. They aren't aggressive, but the woodpeckers seem to be reducing their visits...I think the jays' simple presence discourages them. Besides that, the blue jays eat a LOT of suet. Any ideas on what I might do?

Last edited:
You could perhaps try removing the suet for a couple of days, to try to break their new-found suet habit. I can't think of anything else you could do to discourage them.

When they're around, blue jays are the boss of the yard. They will do what they want while they're there and that is how it is. I rather enjoy them, among the less timid of my visitors- excluding the species that are traditionally tame in this area, like chickadees.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back