• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field Sketching? (1 Viewer)

Swampy Sam

I've been doing alot of it lately. I was just wondering if anyone else does it. My binos mounted on my tripod, I draw like crazy as soon as I see a stationary bird. Birds in flight are a bit tough but I still try. Just thought I would see if anyone else did this?

I've been doing alot of it lately. I was just wondering if anyone else does it. My binos mounted on my tripod, I draw like crazy as soon as I see a stationary bird. Birds in flight are a bit tough but I still try. Just thought I would see if anyone else did this?

Sketching in the field is definitely the best way to get to know birds and to introduce freshness and realism into your artwork, using photographs for reference only. It teaches you to draw what you actually see rather than what you think you should see! Drawing exclusively from photos tends to produce stilted artwork, a little lacking in 'life'. It can be difficult at first, as you've found, but practice makes perfect, as they say! Perhaps you could post some of your work here?

Good luck and have fun!

RB

I enjoy field sketching too, but I find it much easier with an angled scope. Agree with the comments above, it’s a great way to get life into your work.

I think.... there is a parallel with sketching in astronomy. It really makes you pay attention to the features and details. Much easier with astronomy as long as you can keep following the relatively slow movement and the weather, clouds, and biting insects cooperate.

Birds, unless quite stationary or there're several in the area, like waders?, well.... Bravo to you, truly. I can sketch lifeless things and flora but my sketched horse looks like a dog and vice versa. I admire sketchers' skills. In sketching classes I was surprised though that the artists took photographs and sketched from them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back