• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bader hyperion mk1v with Kowa TSN 823M (1 Viewer)

ranger4

Bought a bader hyp mk1v for my kowa tsn 823m spotting scope however i cannot seem to focus on distant objects using the scopes focus wheel i think there is a way of sorting the issue thought there was a post on the subject however i cannot seem to find it, would be greatful for any info to help fix issue, thanks.

Hello ranger4,

I faced the same problem with my Mark IV Baader Hyperion Univ. Zoom and old Kowa telescope bodies. Following jackingreen's instructions (who managed to join an Hyperion zoom and a kowa-ts613 body with DIY adapter), however, I was able to do the same with my Hyperion zoom and Kowa ts-612 body, using the original Baader Opticron/Kowa Adapter ring 41,5 mm - 2" (No. 2454832). My combo works perfectly and focusing to infinite is working properly.

I think, the main problem with old Kowa scope body bayonets is, that holes are too tight for the Baader Hyperion nosepieces. I cut some 2 mms from the outer metal part of the nosepiece (see attached photos). Now it is good on Kowa ts 612 body but still doesn't work with my old and beloved tsn-4.

Regards,

Vámibimbero

Attachments

• 20190219_122530.jpg
    20190219_122530.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 20190219_122633.jpg
    20190219_122633.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 20190220_111236.jpg
    20190220_111236.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 153
The problem with the 823 and the zoom is not about the nose of the eyepiece not fitting the inside of the bayonet,that is not a problem,neither the lenght of the nose .The Mark III can sit perfectly,screwed flush on the external threads,and reaches Infinity at all magnifications..At low power is getting close,but still has a touch of travel past infinity. The few extra mm of the mk IV towards Infinity should make the fit easier.The problem here is the adapter to fit the Kowa body..I removed and modified the collar ring of the mkIII,thus allowing the bottom of the zoom body to sit just on the threads when screwed in,with no distance at all, It sits as close as can posibly be,and yet is at the limit for Infinity..If the provided adapter for the mkIV lifts the eyepiece anything above the 2 mm optical gain,then the result is negative ,loosing Infinity..Is dissapointing for me because my adapter was poorly machined (not the exact thread size)and is gonna eventuallly wear off the threads.plus It was a home repaired unit and not 100 % reliable ..I was hoping to replace It with the mkIV eventuallly..the pictures would help to find a solution..what really puzzles me is that i have read some reports stating that It actually works with no special adapter(on Kowa 82)..

To clarify the doubts I expressed in this past post, ..I am now testing the Hyperion
Mk IV Universal Zoom on my Kowa 823.
The Eyepiece fits the external threads without the need of any adapters.The main threads for the 2 inch barrel give a secure fit to the zoom on the 823.. Infinity Focus is reached with a lot of travel past the point of focus.Same excellent optics,perhaps even sharper,and definitely better mechanical operation.I Will write a little review and comparison ,listing all the available adapters etc.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back